Paper thin carpet

Discussion in 'Carpet Sales and Installations' started by Don Monfils, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

AB49D4EC-1F37-4513-9CA9-E54C4476E731.jpeg BA4ECA13-B495-440A-8CFB-B1BFEA6C4D3E.jpeg I measured a a job a a while back.
    It was just under 100 yards in a basement.
    They wanted no pad so I showed them a 20 oz. olefin leveloop. They didn’t like it and the got their own carpet.
    I’m installing it tomorrow.
    This is probably a $400,000 home they are going to sell
    This is what they got :eek:
    It is a very smooth floor.
    I thought about using a v.c.t. trowel
    With carpet adhesive and letting it flash off,but I’m thinking the glue will still ooze through this crap.
    How about rolling on pressure sensitive carpet tile adhesive??
    What are your thoughts?​

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

First off that's just "wall carpet" used for sound deadening in courthouses and such WITH special insulation behind it. It can be adhered direct to drywall with a multi-purpose and a fine notch.........allowing to tack.

For the floor I don't think that would hold up 6 months to modest residential traffic. But yes. I agree the best bet it pressure sensitive applied with a paint roller.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Glue will definitely ooze through that stuff. You also have to be careful of leaving too big a bead of seam sealer. That will ooze as well and looks like instant shit. Last time I did some I didn’t know it until I showed up to work that morning. I used a 1/16” notch vinyl trowel. Worked out just OK. There places where there may have been a divot or valley in the substrate that left additional adhesive and I had a few ooze spots to deal with. A VCT notch may be just the ticket. Have a bucket of water and several rags for clean up.

Spray adhesive? Wonder how well that would work. There was another post on TFP about installing that stuff. If I remember correctly, there were some pointers n such by people who have had success with that material. I hate it. Don’t work with it enough to make it look good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I just can't comprehend how anyone went out one morning, saw that crap and thought, know what?? that's the flooring for me.

Go collect some empties or sell a kidney or some thing and get some actually flooring lol

Good luck and God speed my good man. I feel for ya!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I see no problem with that stuff. Small notch and we use a 35lb roller. We used latex adhesive. The seams were tricky, my brother did that portion, I think it was just straightedged. He calls it V lock?

6. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

See what the manufacturer says about it. Maybe even HD has some kind of instruction beings its their product.

:old:

Daris

7. Daris Mulkin

Push comes to shove double face tape it.

Daris

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Mike Antonetti

Think it’s called needlebond, probably talked about in the Archives. Customers use to buy the crap out of it for their boat trailer rails.

9. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I've put so much of that on decks and gave up counting. We also hung it on 12' walls in the school, fun.

10. Don Monfils

1894BB56-DECA-4BF6-9870-4D7DB0C4829E.jpeg 9A00466C-C727-4E64-B5AA-D74FBEFE9163.jpeg I tried a little Henry Peach Pro brushed on a piece of underlayment.
    The carpet peeled off effortlessly.
    I have some Premium carpet adhesive.
    I guess I’m going with the smallest trowel I can find , and letting it tack up.
    One of these in the pic should work.
    And I’m going to tell my helper absolutely no heavy spots in the glue !
    I do have a 35 pound roller

I remember putting it on concrete porches that were a little on the Roughside . I would use a sheet of underlayment has a kneeling board.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Daris Mulkin

I had to istall about 1200 yds of the stuff in the museum here. I took a paint roller and sewed a piece of the carpet to it and rolled the multi on the walls. Worked good.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
  12. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It helps if you mix a little water into the multi purpose glue too. Thins it out for rolling on the wall. We also would back butter the top edge to be like contact adlhesive to grab good and stay.

13. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Yep, 1/16” notch. Have done lots of it. Let the glue flash off a bit first. I hate the stuff but it trims like a dream

14. Mike Antonetti

I wouldn’t use pressure sensitive adhesive, the rag type material would not be easy to shift while in adhesive, then repositioning would pull fibers apart. The kicker can tear it with “too much” force.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Don Monfils

Update...
    I get a text at yesterday afternoon saying “ Home Depot dropped the ball and the carpet did not come in”
    There goes today:mad:
    I have a few odds and ends to do today.
    I was looking forward to making $603 for installing $292 worth of carpet o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

That sucks. These days I’m happy if I get notice the day before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Don Monfils

I did the job last week.
    It went real smooth.
    Only used 1/2 a pail of adhesive for almost 100 yards.
    The entire roll weighed about as much as a roll of 4 lb. re bound pad.
    I told the customer not to set any furniture on the rug.
    She asked “ for how long”
    I said “Forever” :D

I ended up double cutting the seams.
    They looked great.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

We put that stuff on some corridor walls, wainscot style. I've also use that on the floors and walls of cars and vans, and trucks, mobile homes, speaker boxes. Cuts like a dream and with a heat gun conforms to odd shapes, like engine covers in vans, and dashboards.
    Big Money for that custom work!
    A whole house! Yikes! I agree... no furniture 'Forever'!
    David

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Harry Myers

Harry Myers Charter Member

It's a felted needle punch carpet just like synthetic cushion. I done alot of that crap on terraces in NY when I lived there. Indoor / outdoor carpet at best.

• Like Like x 1