Painting Heated Concrete

Discussion in 'Concrete Floor Finishes' started by becky129622, Feb 4, 2018.

1. becky129622

becky129622 Member

Hey ya'll,

I am looking into painting my concrete slab kitchen and laundry room floor. It has radiant heat inside the concrete. As of right now it's really still an idea, just doing my research on how to proceed and if it will be a viable option. Does anybody have any advice or experience with this?

2. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I don’t know about paint
    But epoxy will hold up just fine have done tons of decking outside here in FL and with the heat beating down I think it can hold up to radiant heating.

If you want it to bond your going to need to shot blast or grind to open up the floor for it to bond right.
    Do not use any kind of acid wash cause it changes the PH in the concrete and the epoxy will not bond
    Here’s a few in door floors with epoxy
    Ron

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. becky129622

becky129622 Member

What is the difference between epoxy and paint? I don't like the look of the photos you have provided, I am guessing that is the epoxy look. I am looking for more of a flat, solid color. I have attached a photo of exactly what I want to do.

As far as shot blasting or grinding, what does that mean? It's in a freshly remodeled kitchen so I can't be making too much of a mess.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Talked with a painter just the other day about painting a heated garage. He said he would grind it first so the epoxy bonds well even though the floor was pretty much in perfect condition.

• Like Like x 2
  5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

You can so a solid color epoxy

• Like Like x 2
  6. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Epoxy is going to hold up to your foot traffic and cleaning and other things you can toss at it compared to just paint

Epoxy will have a much higher bond strength and tensile strength.

You can have any color of epoxy under the sun the colors are almost endless.

The shot blast or grinding is 95% dust free if done right.

Trust me just std old paint is not going to last to long and you’ll be redoing the floor over and over again.

7. becky129622

becky129622 Member

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It won't stick without grinding or shot lasting it. My Vortex product could stick as they have a primer that is used to penetrate the substrate.

phone 039.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. becky129622

becky129622 Member

What is Vortex product?
    You think I could use this without shot blasting or grinding?

10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Vortex Spray On Liners

This is the company, you can call for a local dealer. Its a polyphatic coating that is uv stable, they also have epoxy and primer but I find its more than the granitex that I do.