Pad: no staples, glue, or tape

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Ca5, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Ca5

Ca5 New Member

I just had carpet installed in my condo. It's Shaw textured nylon carpet with 8 lb 1/2" rebond pad. It’s laid on gypcrete or something. It looks like concrete but it’s something softer. The previous pad was glued and the seams taped. Previous to that there are old staples around the perimeter. This time the installer started out stapling all the seams. I asked if he could use glue instead and said because I was concerned about the gypcrete cracking/chipping. Maybe silly of me but the previous pad with the glue seemed good. The installer said he didn’t have to use anything. So, the pad has no glue or staples and the seams are not taped. It seems fine right now. I’ve noticed no gaps or bumps. but, I wonder if this will be a problem after time with wrinkles or other problems.

What do you think? What’s the risk or downside to this? What should I watch out for?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

It’s probably the last thing I would worry about with your carpet installation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Once carpet is installed over it there is no place for the pad to go. The only problem I could see if stapling was to let go the there might be a crunching sound when stepped on.

:old:

Daris

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Without staples or tape the pad can ride up over the tack strip while being stretched or the pad could curl up over itself at the pad seams. If that hadn’t happened then you’re in the clear

5. Ca5

Ca5 New Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I wonder if there might be some gaps in the pad that I just can’t see yet, but over years the carpet will sag into the gaps?

Might it be a problem if I ever need the carpet re-stretched?

6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Could be. According to CRI 105 you’re supposed to staple around the perimeter and use pad tape on the seams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Was your installers name ' Slick Eddie ' ? :p

It can be done, but it's risky business. I've done it in a pinch, but only with a quality pad with straight edges and lays flat. I usually spread the carpet first over the floor, then fold it back 6' 6''....lay the pad loose and fold cpt. back.
    Thank You Ca5 for stopping him from stapling the seams on gypcrete :)
    ....If it was up to me, I would promote duck tape pad seams period ! even on wood.

For the past 17 years, I've run into all kinds of crazy pad installation methods at different apartment complexes, but by far my favorite one is ' Slick Eddie's ' loose lay method :D ....I'm not endorsing this, but if my back could speak, it would ;)

Hopefully you'll be ok and thanks for sharing.

This Crazy method added 1.50 hours for pulling staples :mad: Do you think I should charge extra ?
    image(35).jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1