Outdoor carpet dilemma

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Don Monfils, May 24, 2006.

1. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

We installed outdoor grass carpet around a pool 2 years ago.It was a above ground pool with plywood decking about 4' above ground level.
    Customer complained the carpet seams "shrunk". Looked at the job today and sure enough 1/8 - 1/4" gaps at the seams. I pulled back the carpet and the adhesive is basically gone. You can see where their was good transfer up into the backing but, the adhesive is kinda crystallized. I can easily re-glue the seam areas ,seal the seams and stretch the carpet back together but, was wondering what would cause this? I do not know if, it was pressure treated plywood or not, I was wondering if a chemical in that plywood could have ate away the adhesive.:help: :help: oh yeah it was outdoor adhesive.

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  2. Randy

Randy Charter Member

Don,
    I have had pools for way to long. Now moved into the hot tub. I think what your seeing is the cholrine is drying up the backing of the carpet. The wood would not do it. If you have ever swam in a pool for an extended time you would notice that the elastic is gone. Why, cholrine will dry rot it.

3. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

I don't think what you're seeing is too uncommon. Both direct sunlight and the combination of chlorinated water are taking its toll. And , like everything else, some glues are better then others. If you were to ever measure the surface temp of the deck, in the heat of the day, during the summer, you might be surprised.