OSHA Final Ruling

Discussion in 'Health & Safety Forum' started by Quest, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Quest

Quest Pro Member

I searched every forum and found some similar discussions on the Silica issue with grinding and blasting concrete but could not find the actual topic of the OSHA Silica Ruling.

OSHA's Final Rule to Protect Workers from Exposure to Respirable Crystalline Silica

I have been through some training on the topic and the strong enforcement begins June 23rd, 2017.

There is a ton to read on there and you can see how it affects what you are doing, if at all, but the section at the top right has a lot of info, including the FAQs.

One thing that a lot of guys that I deal with are confused about is what types of dust collectors will be legal. HEPA filtration is a requirement and there are many out there that offer a HEPA upgrade, costly and in most manufacturers, non compliant. The main thing to focus on is containment, so while you may have all dust and silica contained while grinding, blasting, scraping or whatever method you are using, you also must have containment at the collection bin.

So, if you contain all particles but then have to break apart a dust bin at the end of a job, exposing the material and then dumping that dust, you quickly become non-compliant.

There is a ton of reading out there on the topic, but it will be a good thing if you can stay ahead of the curve on this one, rather than getting fined. The proposed fines have varied and I am sure they are not settled as of yet, but in all proposed quantities none of them were cheap.

Attached Files:

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

The method of dumping dust would be a procedure of containment similar to removal process.

3. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mike Antonetti

Here's a picture of making something Tangible, you can say Micrograms, on and on.

This Canadian penny picture gets around.

RCS- Respirable Crystaline Silica

Attached Files:

5. Mike Antonetti

I though Black Lung that coal miners get was different, but it's still a mixture of Silica.

So it won't be eliminated, stem cells are about the only thing that could combat this. New Lungs grown I don't think is practical as you have to be ripped open.

NPR Continues To Find Hundreds Of Cases Of Advanced Black Lung

6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I heard the other day that the new rule is being pushed back.

7. Mike Antonetti

Lungs do not know that. It's in effect but maybe delayed the enforcement.

8. Mike Antonetti