Osha compliance

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by wood butcher, Feb 10, 2015.

1. wood butcher

wood butcher Charter Member

In simple plain English

Can somebody please tell me if I need to be OSHA compliant?

I recently had a call from a company trying to sell me an OSHA compliance package / handbook for a little under $1000. He told me an OSHA inspector could request to see my handbook and I had 4 hrs to produce it, or else face an indictment.

I am a sole trader
    I have no employees
    I have no sub-contractors
    I have no premises

I have general liabilty and vehicle insurance.

I am an independant flooring contractor working in domestic properties.

2. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

Sounds like a scam to me. I never heard of any "handbook" but if one exists it could be used to increase the fines and remove any negotiating power one might have out of ignorance of the rules.

3. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

The book looks free to me.

OSHA web site. https://www.osha.gov/Publications/smallbusiness/small-business.html

Second paragraph mentions a PDF file of the handbook.
    About this Handbook

This handbook is provided to owners, proprietors and managers of small businesses by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), an agency of the U.S. Department of Labor. For additional copies of this publication, write to the U.S. Government Printing Office, (GPO), Superintendent of Documents, Mail Stop SDE, 732 N. Capitol Street, NW, Washington, DC 20401, or call the OSHA Publications Office at (202) 693-1888, or fax (202) 693-2498 for ordering information. Please note that the entire text of the Small Business Handbook is available on OSHA's website [PDF - 260 KB].

4. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

AHA!!! The worst kind of scam...a government scam.:(
    I still say it is most useful to OSHA for removal of any negotiating power one may have had prior to owning it.

5. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

OSHA is designed to protect EMPLOYEES from dangerous and unhealthy work sites and conditions. If you have employees then you fall under the jurisdiction of OSHA regulations and in theory there's about.........ten hundred zillion BS regulations you could never possibly learn and remember let alone comply with.

On the other other hand I'm sure you WANT to be safe and responsible regardless of laws/regulations and jurisdictional confusions. There are some very basic rules, besides common sense safety stuff you'll NEED to follow at some point in your career if you venture into commercial projects with employees.

I've recently completes OSHA 30........30 hours
    EM 385.........40 hours
    CPR.........16 hours
    CQC Management........16 hours

Over a hundred hours of training for safety and quality control (where part of the REPORTING always includes safety)

My head is F'n spinning with safety BS to the point it's confusing just walking into a job site. You have to learn that stuff, practice it and GET OVER IT.

Basically it's a LOT of meetings and paperwork.

None of this applies to a guy working alone as an independent contractor. It only comes into play when you hire someone.

Then all hell breaks loose...........as far as the technicalities of compliance.

6. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

If you got the contact information for that company, you might send it to OSHA and advise them that they are being used as a sales tool.
    Government agencies do not take kindly to this type of action.

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

You are supposed to carry a book, I can't remember what they call it but I couldn't remember the word greenhouse for a few minutes.
    You should also have MSDS sheets for all your adhesives or any chemicals, or hazardous materials. OSHA comes around when people get hurt/killed. I meant to put together a book, had a few things in it for couple years, I think it made its way back in the house and maybe eventually repurposed the binder for my tool tech manual.
    I would like to get put on the sucker list, and in plain English(no disrespect to you or your Country) Id tell them to what to do with that handbook!

8. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

Complete scam.
    The only time you will need anything OSHA is when subcontracting for a GC and they specify it as per building codes. Or if you are doing state, city, government, incorporated village work etc....
    It's all about insurance policies, and written by lawyers for lawyers to understand.
    I have my OSHA 30 because it is required by almost every commercial job in NY. But all I need is my certification card. My personal corporation does not need to have it in any aspect, especially for residential work.
    There is no book that you would ever need to carry. Even those online OSHA 10/30/500 courses are a scam. They are not valid unless given by a certified instructor in your state.
    I would disregard it and carry on...
    Steve

9. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Years ago CFI dressed a guy in everything OSHA wanted or could run into on a job. He was unable to move basically. Kind of looked like a Japanese warrior of yesteryear.
    The only book I know of you would need to carry is the one that has all the MSDS[material safety data sheet] sheets in it. For the chemicals[everything but pad] you are using on a commercial job. Been asked for them a time or two.

:old:

Daris

10. Jeff Short

Jeff Short Veteran Flooring Retailer

Government agencies don't call people. They send you a letter telling you to call them.