OSB tile floor

Discussion in 'Floorcovering Installation & Maintenance Tips' started by JonH, Feb 3, 2015.

1. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

OSB tiles are 24" X 24". I thought this was worth posting as an idea for an inexpensive nice floor, I haven't finished yet but it's looking really good so far. It's a coffee shop so it seems to fit well without looking cheap, the owner of the shop wanted something original and nice so this is what we came up with. The cost is about $75 for the wood and it probably won't get over $200 for a 12X12 area not including labor.

I could use some advice on what will finish it well. They want the rough look of the OSB so we used a router to make a bevel on each edge and we won't be sanding it, I'm thinking just a regular high quality hardwood finish will work. I will update with better pictures.

2. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I think I would check with the OSB manufacturer to see what would work as a finish. I would lean toward a wood floor finish as well, but my only concern would be how it would react with the resins in the OSB.

Aside from calling the manufacturer, you might do a test board. Let it sit for a day or two to see how it will turn out, if you have the time.

3. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

I have seen this in my career. They look sharp...different. Sand though, it helps with finish bond. Acid cure! ;) Tongue and groove or glue?

4. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

They may want "the rough look" but what does the Health Department want. How the hell are they going to clean that surface?
    What's the fire rating of the OSB?
    Can they get a CO with that type of floor?
    Is the job permitted?
    :rolleyes:

5. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Cleaning is something I was concerned about but that's what I was hoping the finish would solve. As far as fire safety and code I think its no more flammable or different than any other wood once finished. I would like to talk them into sanding it down flat. I'm going back tomorrow to finish up.

I did remove myself from responsibility should this job go South because I just can't know what could happen, and they are doing the work along side me knowing this. We also have the option of covering it with vinyl if it becomes a problem.

6. Floored by Newman

Agreed. Plywood & particle board have glue also.

7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Maybe some clear epoxy coating that is thick. Like bar top coating.

8. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I have seen this floor done in California in an art gallery, it looked good. They did the 4x8 sheets. Looked like they sanded the floor and put polyurethane on it.

9. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

I remembered you told me about that and it's the reason I threw this idea out to the coffee shop boys. You can look at it Tomorrow after we are done working.

10. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Well, not finished yet but one or two more coats and it should be ready for all the coffee drinkers:D :yesss:

My camera on my phone doesn't do it any justice but it still looks good. Under 200 for materials just by a hair.

Attached Files:

11. A light sand won't change the "look" of the rough OSB. It will make a huge difference with the grab of the polyurethane. I would hazard a guess that the oil modified polyurethanes or oil based would bond much better than a waterborne/water based finish.

The higher solvent content in the oil based/oil modified should have a better grab to the pesky resin filled, wax coated OSB. Test several tins of different stuff. I'm fairly sure you can get most oil modified products to grab this...they have enough solvents left in them to grab the resins...in theory. Test, Test and then Test again.

You will want 2-3 coats...use the poly's primer to ensure good grab and you should be home free. And please allow the stuff time to cure!

12. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Thanks for the advice Sephanie, there is one side of the OSB that seems to have that wax/resin finish so we opted for the other rougher side. The guys that own the shop bought a verathane finish and it seems to be sticking around. They have been doing most of the work and buying materials. If I ever do a job like this again I will do as you advise.

A few things about OSB is: some of the chips tend to release when moisture is added from the finish and you have to cut some of them out after the first coat, it's not the same thickness from one to the other, and it has natural flaws like dents that wouldn't matter for what it's intended for. Still it's something I would consider in my own home as an office or den.

13. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Took a look at it today in person, looks pretty cool and unique. And hey, the price is right!

14. Floored by Newman

I used varathane on my kitchen table I refinished. Good stuff and takes moisture better than most. Also does not fade as much as others. Nice floor Jon ;) Looks good!

15. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

The roller rink floor we did carpet at had OSB with many, many, coatings of urethane. It is double layer over foam. But every year I think they add couple of coats/screen sand.
    I'd be interested in the integrity of the squares if they curl etc. And I'll take a double shot with vanilla on ice.

Attached Files:

16. Kman

Jon, how was osb secured to the subfloor?

17. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

We used 7/16 X 1 1/2 staples. We set the gun on KILL so they buried deep in the wood.

18. Kman

Thanks. Is it 7/16" osb over something else?

19. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Yes, old building so there was 3/4 boards going at 45 degrees and then 3/4 boards on that and then old hardwood. We misplaced a tile in which we had to tear it up and found that the staples were holding better than we thought. The staples hide if you can sink them far enough and the wood tends to heal over the nail hole for the most part. I paid attention to placing the nails in spots in the OSB that I thought would hide the nail and they pretty much disappeared.

I've gotten more comments about that floor than any other floor I've ever done in 15 years which is surprising to me. I didn't even do most of the work which is typical, the guy that does all the work usually gets left in the dark.:yesss:

20. Kman

It's unique, that's probably why it's gotten good feedback. :)

I had wondered if you put any glue underneath to keep it down.