Organic Solvents

Discussion in 'Health & Safety Forum' started by Jon Scanlan, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Got this today
    Organic solvents

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Deadly unseen gas. There’s no indicator, monitor to warn of deadly levels. I have a shed with chemicals in them. Searching for a Flam Locker I can find cheap and store all that stuff outside, away from the shed so it won’t catch fire. The lightning I can’t stop.

Awareness can save lives, Good Post Jon.

3. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

I've used lacquer thinner, paint thinner and acetone sometimes to remove glue from the surface of some floors. I used to buy the cans with the twist off cap and they had a metal plug under them. I would take a screw driver and just pierce the metal plug with the tip to make a small hole and just tilt it with a rag over the hole to just get enough cleaner to do the job, never large amounts. Nice post.

4. JayP

JayP Pro Member

I’ve used acetone from time to time for cleaning glue off my hands, tools, etc. I use mineral spirits now. Any mention of that?

5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Everybody makes acetone inside themselves when cells are made. I use mineral spirits for cleaning hands and tools of glue. My epoxy system machines use acetone and lacquer thinner to clean out the chems.

6. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Generally speaking the solvents are being banned in many regions both because of the short term risks of serious lung damage and the long term effects on your central nervous system. I've exposed myself too many time..........tough guy, dontcha know. I avoid it any harmful chemical whenever I can. But sometimes nothing will work except the mineral spirits, acetone or whatnot. So just use sparingly and ventillate.

• Like Like x 2
  7. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Use thinner or at times MEK to clean our tools daily but we use it outside if we can if not safety gloves and glasses and a good 3Mrespirator

8. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

You use MEK to clean stuff??
    What does that clean??

9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Epoxy equipment and tooling. We used stuff I think is now banned. Triclorotriflouro...?

10. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Used to be able to buy that at the grocery store. Brand name was Energine (in a gold can). I used to have a quart can always on the truck of Henry's. I think I may still have a partial in the garage. Great stuff in it's day.

It was also to reason Franklin 911 hardwood adhesive went away. Best hardwood glue ever (at the time)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

12. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

We do a lot of trowel down floors and we use like 3-5 different flat trowels per man plus we use a few spiked rollers to release the air so we need at times the MEK because the stuff sets up so fast it’s hard to keep all the tools clean

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1