One step cut through grout,thinset,3/4” plywood with nails with one Blade

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Mike Antonetti, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Any idea what would cut through in one step? Gonna remove in panels, 2nd story @ 1000 ft for estimate.

Attached Files:

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I like the diablo blades on my skil saw for demo. Might want to have a few spares cus I don’t know how quickly the grout/ thin set will wear down the blade. Plywood and nails are no problem at all. Add $200 to the bill and pick up a 10 pack for the job while you pocket the extra $100.

3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

LASERS!!!!!!!

4. Mike Antonetti

Thinking about this blade, didn’t want to link it as then Amazon thinks you’ll want one.

Here’s the description, good to know it also cuts through bullet “resistant” glass.

Application: Designed to cut through the tough materials, including granite marble, Aluminum, Auto Body Panels, Bulletproof Glass, Cast Iron, Copper Pipe, Corrugated Roofing, Drywall, Ductile Iron Pipe, Fire Door, Masonry, Plastic, PVC, Rebar, Reinforced Concrete, Steel Metal, Stucco, Wood and more

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I don't think you understand how that works. Linking to products helps people find them easier AND it helps me earn a commission (from only those merchants who are affiliated with sovrn/Viglink, which includes Amazon, HD, Lowe's and others) on any sale and sometimes just the click without costing the buyer any extra. And Amazon isn't going to sell anyone something they don't want.

Here's the SHDIATOOL All-Purpose Cutting Diamond Blade Diamond Cut-off Wheels in Multiple Sizes on Amazon. And a picture of the actual blade (7"):

shdiatool-metal-cutting-all-purp7.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Thats the kind of blade I was thinking you’re going to need. I cut a couple of heat vents out for my church to run some new hvac and the 4 1/2” blade wouldn’t make it through the slate and subfloor, but it was about halfway through the subfloor

7. Mike Antonetti

I understand how that works and beyond. I research all sorts of information and then get bombarded with soliciting of things I’m not interested in. Kinda like those Insurance commercials on tv. Seen a million of em but does it get me to buy their services? No.

Not sure whether that blade would work fast enough in one step or I have grout/Tuck pointing removal dust extraction saws and then cut the substrate/ 3/4” plywood with different blade. The liquid nail applied in blobs for the second layer for some reason didn’t stick to drywall compound and paint overspray, must’ve been defective as it usually states on the tube “bonds to any bondbreakers”

8. Chris 45

You gotta delete your cookies, Mike. Should be a setting you can adjust to automatically do that when you close your browser.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mike Antonetti

I’m good at deleting the bags of real cookies.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Chris 45

Been workin out of town for a while so bags of Oreos and 6 packs have been put on hold since my food options are much better here.

That blade looks like it will cut through just about anything. Turn your skil saw into a hot saw. I’ve got a window that I plan on making bigger at my house. That blade looks like it will cut through siding, framing n everything else in one swoop.

11. Mike Antonetti

Yes. I know other situations bring products to market. Say firefighting/rescue, they need to cut through things immediately.

I like the chainsaw with diamond chain to cut through block walls square into corners without the arc of round blades.

12. Chris 45

Multi tool blades are what I’m always looking for. My buddy picked up a bunch off of amazon. They work but they kinda also suck. For $1 a piece, they’re tolerable until you hit a nail or some metal corner trim.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I know how that works too. Every day I spend a lot of time searching for things mentioned in posts and providing links to them. I kinda figure if someone isn't interested in reading or buying something at the end of that link, they won't click it.

Even with all the searching I do, I've never been much bothered by the ads I see on all the websites based on my perceived interests and never have felt any pressure by any shopping site that happens to show me suggested products I've got no real interest in. I just don't click stuff I ain't interested in.

My first goal here at TFP is to help members and visitors find the information and resources they need. My second goal is to pay the bills so I can keep fulfilling my first goal. Sometimes I can meet both goals at the same time. Last month, every time someone clicked on a link to Amazon, I earned an average of 7-cents (that's a combination of buyers and looky-loos). Those that clicked and didn't buy still were able to learn more about the products our pros were talking about.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mike Antonetti

Blade didn’t cut very fast. Was blue smoke but I guess the vac exhausting outside kept the smoke detector from tripping. Possibly cutting through tile and hardwood would clear/clean the blade. Shown is me operating, no one else should attempt this it could be dangerous. The fein tool cut the ends very quick, blades I think came from France off eBay. Toekick saw mighta gouged the Toekick as I didn’t look for a metal flat plate to act as barrier.

The grinder pictured is variable speed turned to 2, so maybe 2600 rpm’s, not the crazy 10,000 or whatever they spin at regular ones.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  15. Mike Antonetti

This whole operation didn’t go as planned. I assumed to cut 2 ft by 3 ft chunks and pry them up. My tuckpoint saw removed the grout, then demo circular saw blades cut through the plywood. When attempting to pry the tile all popped loose. Then the whole 2nd (subfloor)layer was nailed into the joists intentionally. And then randomly nailed all using 12d penny nails. Along with screws to I assume stop squeaking or movement.

Prying up the plywood turned to shreds. So basically we did in reverse the way the stuff went down. We chipped the tile, ground the thinset to expose the nail heads. The phantom nailheads were then confirmed with the magnets Elmer recommended. It will find any hidden nails from depressed thinset etc.

We couldn’t/can’t (finishing Monday) eliminate any steps, plus it’s still hell removing the plywood with a few missed nails.

Attached Files:

16. Mike Antonetti

That 7” blade didn’t have the diamond shape arbor for the worm saw. It cut ok through grout and wood as I had to isolate a bathroom removing the threshold but keeping bathroom tile. Of course the oscillating tool finished off where circular blades leave unfinished arcs. We did ok on that removal despite no way of increasing efficiency we priced it to be removed in steps.