Old/New Hardwood:What's Up?

Discussion in 'Hardwood Flooring Sales and Installations' started by Floor Boss, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

Back Story: Insurance Job, Kitchen floor is Old 3/4" beveled oak, was sanded at least once before. Family room, inside the border is New 3/4" beveled oak.
    Scope: Install new wood. It was 1/8" at least higher than the original. Sanded to match heights.
    Water Popped, Stained, 3 coats of water based satin finish.
    The most recent photos were taken yesterday, 3 months after completion.
    Honestly, the floor looks great to me, the home is beautiful. The client has concerns, but I'm not going to point them out. I'm hoping the great eyes and experience of our fellow colleagues might be able to guide me to a resolution with the client.
    Since I'm clueless, does anyone see anything that needs to be addressed?
    Original Floor and color: Kitchen
    upload_2019-1-16_9-34-17.png
    Family room prior to replacement
    upload_2019-1-16_9-35-38.png
    Installer Completed Photo
    upload_2019-1-16_9-36-33.png
    Completed Family Room
    upload_2019-1-16_9-39-37.png

My Visit Photos:
    upload_2019-1-16_9-41-34.png
    upload_2019-1-16_9-41-53.png
    upload_2019-1-16_9-42-39.png

All expertise, interjections, and opinions are welcome!
    Thanks,
    David

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

What I'm seeing is the 2 boards in front of the stove are way lighter than the rest of the floor and also some boards have more of a bevel catching the light differently. Looks good from my house.

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

The stain on the existing looks blotchy-----in contrast to the new wood which seems to have taken the stain more evenly. All in all from the photos it's a nice looking floor. It's hard to capture issues/complaints with finish work that's subject to so many different angles and light reflections.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

The bevel on one side is more pronounced. It took more poly & now the joints shimmer on one side.

All together it looks like a good job. Stop nitpicking & pay the man!

5. Floor Boss

Your observations are really appreciated. Next week sometime, maybe after a few more interpretations, I'll clue ya'll in with the client's concerns!
    Have a Great Weekend!
    DB

6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Good, let it stew, I’d have to look from iPad if I get a chance but everyone’s concerns are different.

7. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Picture #5 from top...blotchy stain
    Picture #6 from top light and dark boards
    Was the correct wood used, almost looks like white oak mixed with red oak.
    Can we get a close up of the areas marked with blue tape?

8. Floor Boss

I hope this isn't too grainy. Here's a close up of the area with blue tape. Molkenbuhr blue tape.JPG
    and for 'shots and giggles', here is a pix of the new/old height difference prior to sanding. Beveled no less.
    upload_2019-1-21_9-14-19.png

Thanks,
    DB

9. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Ok, enough with the suspense.

What gives? What's their beef?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Floor Boss

Well Tom, I was hoping Elmer had one last quip, but I let it fly and maybe he'll get back to review the close up of the blue taped area.
    1. The client is concerned about the color variations, light and dark, and they swear that the old floor did not have such variations. Which at least one of you mentioned that the old floor looked blotchy, and one other mentioned that the refinished floor looks blotchy.
    2. Right in front of the lounge chair is a ghostly, filmy looking area. It just so happens to be right where you might expect someone's feet to land. Looking closer, there seems to be some abrasive marks, but very faint.
    So their primary concern is the wear of the finish coat. Their thinking is that if it's going to scuff up after only a few months (in one spot, really), can they expect this to happen to the rest of the floor in a relative short period of time. Their old floor last 25+years!!
    Secondarily, they 'feel' that the stain has been 'fading' in the areas that are lighter.
    Anywho..... that's their story and they're sticking to it. :(
    Insurance Clients! uuuuuuggggghhhhhh!
    Thanks,
    David

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The before picture shows a brown floor, while most of the finished pics have a reddish hue. Was that by design? Changing to a lighter color often brings out mineral streaks and natural characteristics.

12. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

I would forward their complaint on to the correct complaint department...

"Lord...it's me Floor Boss...I have a new claim to file. You know when you were helping those trees to grow...couldn't you have made sure that the consistency of the chemicals in the earth and the amount of sunshine and rain were exactly the same as the trees that you grew for the original floor , resulting in a perfectly matched floor? And, your Honor, couldn't you have insured that the climatic conditions were identical on the day that the new floor was stained as they were on the day the old floor was stained?"

"Next time your Worship could you try and make it happen as you know that these two poor home owners are just not happy with the results you've provided them? Amen."
    Let them know that it might be a day or two before the Big Guy gets back to them as he's a little busy most days. Politely shake their hand and walk away. ;)

We, as a society, have trained consumers that if they can find any little reason that they simply aren't "happy", they deserve a full or partial refund. I'm not sure, other than the truth with a good dose of reality, that there's a really good way to fix that problem.

God Bless you FB, and may your patience be rewarded someday! Hope it gets resolved and your able to know that you've done the right thing. It sure appears to me that you have!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Floor Boss

Thanks CFR. We do have those days, and people are quite reluctant to hear 'these truths'.
    Elmer, the client thought it would be a great idea to go with a darker color this time around. They were given two choices. upload_2019-1-23_14-5-56.png
    I know this is only partially sanded, but you can see areas of inconsistent shades and grains. Yup, CFR, it's a natural wood product!
    I'll have to go do a refresher debate competition to boost my confidence before presenting the truth to them and their insurance carrier!
    I will also pray!
    DB

14. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Well, for what its worth I didn't even notice that until pointed out. Its wood & the individual pieces take stain differently. Even the prefinished hardwood I install has variances in every piece.

Its unfortunate that there is a couple customers a year that. I had a customer I did a sheet vinyl job a few years back. Tile pattern in an old farmhouse. I got all the grout lines lined up very good considering nothing was square or plumb in the place. There was a hearth that was extremely crooked & she called me back for it. It was about 2" off over 5'. I explained & she didn't understand, She wanted a redo. After 2 more call backs to discuss the same issue FINALLY the last time her husband was there & after drawing a mock up on paper to describe what would happen if I went off that hearth, they opened their eyes.

This woman was one that really stuck out in my career. Unfortunately for us, it's part of the game.

I still think it looks good. Hopefully you can put together some literature to back up what you know. When you show up with your claims in writing (like something from nwfa) a lot of times they will realize your not just blowing smoke. Good luck & I hope everything works out so you can get paid.

• Like Like x 2