Old Linoleum Craftmanship?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Darol Wester, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Darol Wester

Darol Wester Charter Member Senior Member

This old linoleum was in a bedroom that was to be covered with carpet. While cutting vinyl in this room, with a little scrubbing I found this design under all the paint. In the picture i put tape where the seam is. All the pieces seem to be inset. Here's my question. Was this inlaid by an installer? It almost appears to have been made up in the factory but if so, why wouldn't they have the seam directly in the middle of the design instead of off centered?

I've never ran across this before. So sad to cover something like this up.

Attached Files:

2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would have asked permission to cut it out for my collection of old designs.

3. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

Not a bad idea as long as the home will never be restored at some point down the road.
    .................. however if the customer said OK,after the medallion was extracated, it could be filled in with two layers of Treadway from the 70's........... that way you would still leave behind another milestone of historical/hysterical significance. :D

I would assume that a medallion would come from the factory as an inset..... thus being in one piece. Weird.

I like rg's suggestion................ then take the piece to the Antiques Roadshow when it comes to town.:D

4. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

..... and if it don't come out clean and easy, get out the jigsaw, then drop in a plug of 3/4 inch plywood to fill the void................ Ok.... I'm done. :rolleyes:

5. Darol Wester

Darol Wester Charter Member Senior Member

Something tells me that to retain the integrity of it you'd have to, as Low down said, cut the sub floor out with it. What a cool idea though. To think back of all the really beautiful creations we've gone over.

The best I ever seen was in an old house in Weed, Calif. In the small living room of a little old house was an oak floor with a design of the sun that was about five feet in diameter. It was done in several types of wood by someone very talented with wood. It was gorgeous. We glued carpet over it. I'd like to see the face of who ever pulls it up.