Oh man...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion Forum' started by Mark Brown, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

So, i don't know if this is ok to post, but i was roaming around on the interwebs and came across a topic on a DIY forum. This is why i thank god this site is here and HOPEFULLY some people get the right advice they need.
    Comment Number One is my favorite
    Glue and Screw Underlayment or just screw?
    People that don't know should not advise others.
    For the record i went through the entirety of APA Form E30 which includes the installation methods for underlayment, believe it or not this "advice" was not found anywhere

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

I prefer that links to competing forums, including Houzz, aren't posted, but I get what you are saying. On forums like that where I have an account, I'd normally post what I thought was correct information and then link to TFP (linking to a similar topic or a page that would provide similar information). But that topic is 11 years old, so replying to it, especially to post a link back to TFP, would probably get me in trouble.

3. Mark Brown

It's why I didn't get an account and just reply to it .. but my head was blown wide open by the disinformation offered by other people and didn't know where to turn!!

Delete the thread jimmy I don't want any hassle for ya... or from you, which on I fear more only time will tell

4. I check Contractor Talk maybe 15 times since they banned me for calling someone I really don’t recall, but there were some very knowledgeable guys on there for Flooring. I don’t see them on there anymore and the advice is well, inferior.

The other site similar to this one I check maybe once or twice, I just prefer one source to go to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Sometimes I dip into the box store world.:eek: I know I know. How do you think I’m able to do nothing but floating floors. Anyway, I won’t say which one but one of them supplies construction adhesive to install their underlayment. One 30 oz tube per sheet.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Chris 45

That ain’t funny. Just think of how many dummies actually glue down the underlayment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I remember going into a lot of new homes and the builders would use 3/4" tongue and groove and glue and screw it down. It made for a solid floor with no bounce.

8. Mark Brown

Subfloor sure, glue holds the bond while the wood dries out and warps and all the other things lumber does.

Underlayment, I lose my mind when I see dumb things like this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Well, I guess you get some free tubes of adhesive out of the deal, right?
    I always had a feeling you worked out of big box some. Just could read between the lines.
    If they all had installers like you then maybe they wouldn't be such a joke to the rest of us.

10. Chris 45

Make no mistake, box stores are still a joke. They’re not set up to retain decent installers. Anybody that can do better will move on and do better somewhere else. Me, I like time off. I took the last 2 whole summers off and this year I’m taking the winter off. My kids come to visit, I take time off. 4th of July, I take time off. All you have is shitty little jobs that don’t pay this week, I’ll sit on my couch thank you. Box stores are always hurting for decent installers so I can be this way.

Now as for how I tolerate it, it all comes down to personal relationships and respecting my boundaries. If you respect the fact that I don't do night work, I don’t touch carpet, I don’t touch plumbing, I don’t fix other peoples shit, I don’t do tile, I don’t do jobs that don’t pay... I have a list. If you respect my boundaries then I will show up on time as scheduled and give you a quality installation of your semi mediocre product for whatever shitty rates you’re paying. That’s the deal but you gotta have that personal relationship in order for the deal to work.
    50BCD063-E5B7-4D4A-970B-31E4DE5AA69B.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1