NWFA membership?

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Mark Brown, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Anyone here a paying member of the NWFA ??
    Is it worth it??
    Is their on-line university thingy worth paying for?>

2. Mark Brown

....*cough*

... thanks Jim

(jimmy moved my topic for anyone that thinks maybe i just finally went off the deep end. i am always putting things in the wrong places, mostly my foot in my @$$)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  3. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

Member here since 1998. Absolutely worth it for me, as I must maintain my membership to remain on their list of inspectors to be found by prospective clients. However, there are other reasons as well. For example, I have instant access to all revised publications and standards.

I had other certifications as an inspector before, but NWFA certification, as an inspector, was considerably more difficult to obtain. Continuing education is also mandatory for inspectors. They are now doing monthly webinars that qualify for continuing education credits.

I feel like it's money well spent. Tax deductible too, but not sure how that works for you north of the boarder.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mark Brown

Thanks Mate, i have been milling it over for some time and i think it might be time to pull the trigger. I seem to think i know what i am talking about most of the time but there is always more to learn or for that matter learn that i do not know as much as i think i know. My end goal is to have something to transition out of the installation side of the business eventually but to be a greater asset to myself and my industry along the way

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Back when I started doing hardwood I joined. Lots of info, everything was referencing NWFA. It’s a no brainer to become a member the first year. I got a giant binder packed full of info/installation recommendations. They probably don’t print/send those binders anymore. The real question would be should I renew? First year is an absolute YES. My builders association membership expired oct.1, I didn’t renew, I’ll wait for some changes then maybe rejoin. I used it for business contacts but it didn’t pan out so I told them I’m taking different avenues.

6. Mark Brown

I know that the NWFA has the technical side of the business locked down as far as governance and i agree with you Mike, the information is 100% what i value the most in the membership. Most if not all of it will to some degree or other be available on the old interwebs but it would be convenient to have it all in one location, not to mention their online cert. courses seem a viable option compared to travelling to america, and perhaps it would entice me to get down there for some of the more complex training.