Non-Forbo adhesive for very small repair

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by EdBrown, Nov 24, 2012.

1. EdBrown

EdBrown New Member

Hello--
    Our Marmoleum was installed on a plywood subfloor over slab with cement leveler. The plywood was shot down AND glued.

However, our entire building is reinforced concrete...if there's a small pocket or space in the concrete, it's difficult for nails or screws to hold fast. You never know.

Needless to say, a few nails are starting to pop. I want to cut the Marmoleum--either an "x" or a triangle flap--get in and pull out the nail, and re-glue the flap. I don't want to buy a $50 gallon of 885m for this small job. Can you recommend an adhesive that is appropriate and available in small quantities? Thanks.

2. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would use a water based wood glue. Squirt the nozzle into the lifted Marmo Push down with something flat, clean off with water, end of story. We use scrapings of Marmo mixed up with that glue to fill minor gaps

3. RFI

RFI Mr. Nefarious Senior Member

Ed,

Could you take some photos so we can see what you are dealing with? Cutting those spots open and pulling the nails might not be as easy as it sounds.

4. EdBrown

EdBrown New Member

OK, I think this worked. This nail is the ring leader, the most conspicuous. Everything else is holding its own...so far. If the nail is stuck fast to the floor, my first tack will be to heat it a bit with a hair dryer to loosen the adhesive. If that doesn't work, I'll just have to cut a piece from the scrap I saved, as in the Forbo docs.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Attached Files:

5. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I'd cut a 90 degree splice (Half a Square) about one and a half inch or so long in each direction about one inch from that nail. That should allow enough peel back to get to the nail with what I call a "stubbie pounder"

something along these lines:
    Catalog

I don't disagree with Jon's suggestion but it's just not amongst what the first 3-5 choices of adhesive I'd go with. First choice would be a SOLVENT based contact cement----and you better work clean. Secondly, ANY PREMIUM grade multi-purpose adhesive will work fine---great in fact. Ace Hardware, Home Depot, and dozens of lumber yards or home center will sell you so little as as half a pint or a quart. I don't think it's helpful to you to list the other choices and there are many that WOULD work with the proper application. Hell, cove base adhesive was the "go to" flooring patch glue for about ten zillion years. It still works.

6. strip buster

strip buster my way is the best way. Charter Member

Jon is on the money 100% ...any marmo appreciation course(introductory course) will educate you. contact(i love contact) will not set with any multi purpose or marmo glue,it will just gell. PVA,wood glue will bond with any marmo or multi purpose adhesive.do not use solvent based,wrong. go for Jon's method.....i left but always creeped,just couldn't let this go,now back to the creeping. p.s i am on the forbo's list of prefered installers down here so that should give some indication of what to and what not to do.

7. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton Senior Member Published

I am sure I will get a lot of flack for this but I use Dap Kwik Seal Tub and Tile Adhesive/Caulk. It has little or no initial bond like the wood glue Jon mentioned but when it does set, it is nearly waterproof and the bond is incredible. And you can mix the scrapings with it if you want or better yet some water color paint to match the color of the floor. And it cleans up very easily with water before it sets. You may still have to weight it till it sets. Just use a small dab so as not to create a "bump". I have never never had a failure with using Dap on small repairs either on wood or conc.

The small red tube, should be about $3.00 +-

DAP KWIK SEAL® Tub & Tile Adhesive Caulk, Clear - 5.5 fl. oz - Tools - Painting & Supplies - Caulking

This is what I use on my outside corners and they have survived floods, not like plumbing floods, river floods. The flooring released but the corners were stuck tight and in tact.

8. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

No flack from here Barry. That's essentially a higher grade of acrylic cove base adhesive which is very closely related to ceramic tile wall mastic with some slight chemical improvements--------anti-microbial, and whatnot.

You're right, once dry it's rock solid. I think strip buster is right about the solvent based contact. I do use that for just about any tiny repairs on virtually any flooring products but you can't do that on something new with thick, fresh adhesive because it does in some casesl dissolve what's there. My standard operating procedure of using contact is based on many, many years of doing commercial repairs on very old, dried out, crystallized adhesives almost ALWAYS over patch that has to be be removed from both the substrate and backing. So I was thinking linoeleum to concrete or wood and not about any incompatibility. I'm glad I was corrected before the original poster followed my bad advice. I've not even used the newest Forbo linoleum adhesives aside from some mock up/exhibition work at a union/apprentice/journeyman upgrade class about 2-3 years back.

9. strip buster

b4 i go back to my sleep., new forbo glue is good but doesnt have the initial grab.though much,much easier to spread.(prefer old)adapting is very easy though,also a great glue(adhesive)...good night good luck

10. strip buster

As i do not know what dap'' is i would take Barry's word for it(many do because he is a seasoned installer....waranty issues need to be addressed.

11. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

12. strip buster

if it passes waranty,go for it.

13. EdBrown

EdBrown New Member

Thanks, everyone, for your help. This web site is one of the few worthwhile sites on flooring and that, of course, is because of you.