Non- Asbestos 9x9 VCT ??

Discussion in 'Vinyl & Rubber Flooring Sales and Installations' started by Steve McIntyre, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Steve McIntyre

Steve McIntyre Pro Member

Ok can this be true? Today I walked a school that was built in the 40's where they're needing us to demo 12k sf of 12x12 vct that some retard installed over 3/4" particle board back in the 80's. The edges are curled due to poor maintenance and type of substrate. Underneath this mess is 9x9 vct with cut back adhesive thsy was originally installed. They're plan is to have us demo the 12x12 vct then sheet over the particle board with 5/8" plywood with glue and screws. They had someone do a core sample and determined that the only asbestos that was present was in the adhesive itself and not in the 9x9 tile. Any comments?

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

It’s all gotta come up and there is no way you can with absolute certainty say that you can pull up the 12x12 tiles and will be able to do it without disturbing any 9x9 tiles and the accompanying hot adhesive. It’s a mess and it’s not your mess. Just walk away until it has been properly abated. Fines start at 25K per day that you disturbed any ACM. Not worth it in my book.

3. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

There's virtually no such thing as 9"x9" VCT.

Yet there were 9"x9" resilient tiles......linoleum, rubber, solid vinyl that were made without asbestos.

MOST 9"x9" resilient tile you'll encounter was ASPHALT abestos tile containing more asbestos than asphalt. Just make sure you confirm the clean test and you can proceed from there with your normal prices and procedures.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steve McIntyre

All the 9x9 tiles that you listed are considered a "type" of vct that were produced from the 1920's-1980's. I just wasn't aware that not all had asbestos. The GC is hiring a certified abatement contractor to glue and screw the new plywood underlayment down over the particle board.

5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

Why over the particle board? I would get rid of that also.

6. I’d say Hell no you don’t put ply over particleboard.

I thought all the asbestos was REMOVED from schools.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steve McIntyre

I know it sounds crazy, I'm guessing that they don't want to disturb the original 9x9 tiles by removing the particle board. You would think they would just bring in an abatement contractor and demo the whole maryann. But then again school budget cuts etc. Sad deal..forget the health of our children it's all about the $$

• Like Like x 1
  8. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Who considers solid vinyl, rubber or lino tiles a type of VCT? I understand if you're saying many people we're involved with don't make the distinctions. Like when we say Kleenex when it's a generic brand of tissue it's a verbal short cut. But when I tear out an old floor even when it's been tested clean it still helps to know what kind of glue they would have used for that "type" of resilient tile. We don't want to Scrap-away, shot blast or skimcoat when it's not necessary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. If we could really dial it down to proper terms that would be beneficial to all. To me the C means limestone and that’s it. The V “A” T to me means asbestos but the formula is only 2-5% asbestos so that term is misleading. The solid vinyl term I find hard to believe is 100% vinyl.

It was way back ago that I heard one company never put asbestos in any of their vct, can’t remember which Kentile, Congoleum? Or maybe it was their sheet vinyl, who’s documenting any of the flooring history anyway?