Noise Problem Between Apartment Wall

Discussion in 'Other Home Decorating & Remodeling Projects' started by Jim McClain, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:00 PM.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

The building owner decided to turn the apartment next door into a 3-bedroom instead of the original 2 by converting the former garage/utility room on the other side of my main room into a bedroom. My main room was also a garage when the place was first built 20 years ago.

I already added Safe-n-Sound insulation to that wall a few years ago during a water heater replacement project. I used 5/8" sheetrock instead of the original half-inch. When the owner decided to convert that room to a bedroom, I footed the bill for an additional half-inch layer of sound board and another 5/8" layer of sheetrock.

Even with those measures, there is a problem. Apparently I laugh too loud. The tenant sent me a text message at 4:15am last night to complain about my laughing too loud.

I knew, even with the steps I took to deaden the sound transmission, I would have to do something about the noise from my music or movies late at night. I stay up until 3 or 4AM all the time, so I bought a pair of headphones and set myself a time every night to switch over to them (9:30pm seemed fair to me). But the laugh I seem to have developed over the course of, oh... 70 YEARS has to be controlled somehow.

Maybe there's something else I could do. I can't help but feel this could have been brought to my attention a week or more ago - she said this is the 6th night overall that she has been awoken by my laughing. A couple of days ago I had to remind her, as the rent collector, that she has to pay her rent on time or pay a 50.00 late fee. I don't like reminding tenants to pay their rent, especially when they are personal friends with the owners, who told her she had to pay me the rent every month. Is it possible my laughter would have been excused if I didn't care if she paid her rent on time or not?

Anyway, I have to do something. I just don't know what. Your ideas would be appreciated.

2. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

bill the 50 dollar late fee, then buy her a sound machine w/ her own money. :p
    what were you laughing about ?.... not my poor spelling and grammar
    I hope :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 2:24 PM
  3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

mouth-plug.jpg This!!!
    Should fix you right up

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Jim McClain

Is that for me or the tenant? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

How about acoustic foam panels like they use in recording studios.

6. Mark Brown

See Jim if you gag up after midnight you can scream as loud as you like and NO ONE WILL HEAR YOU!!

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I tell my wife turn those Dam shows off with the built in laugh machines.

Turn off snoring mode, sound travel sucks. I blamed my waking up at all sorts of hours on my wife, though she watches tv in living room, stays out there and falls asleep and I still wake up and takes an hour or two to get back to sleep.

I think you collecting rent is BS, that causes issues which you shouldn’t burden.

White noise machine? Tell em to move out?

8. Jim McClain

Yeah, that'll make my apartment look real pertty. :ohno:

Ya know, the owner tried to help the situation by putting her closet along that wall. There's only about a 4' stretch of wall at the far end away from me that is open wall (no closet). I wonder if adding extra soundproofing to that section on her side alone would help?

I don't know what that is.

It has been the arrangement since before I even moved in here. I am the property manager and it's worth $150.00 per month off my rent. That's a lot less than other PMs get, but it was the agreed rate when we were best buddies. We're not that close anymore, but I've never asked for more because there are other perks.

I don't think I'll be telling the best friend of the owner's wife to deal with it or move out. Regardless of who lives there, I'd like to be accommodating, if I can. This is the first time since I've lived here that anyone has used that room for a bedroom. A white noise machine might be a solution. I've never used one and don't know if she has or if she would be satisfied with that. Maybe I can offer to split the cost with her as a one-time gesture of good will.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mike Antonetti

Wife got our granddaughter one which she borrowed from her friends son, different sounds but I don’t think I could handle it, I’d probably sleep a lot better. Good ones are not cheap. 100$?

Use to I slept all the way through the night and then some which annoyed me that I slept longer than others. In my 50’s and it’s regular lost hours. They in their 50’s?

10. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

White noise machines?? Why, there's apps for that, and they work well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Don’t pay for anything for her. You’re setting precedent that it’s your fault that your neighbor can hear you instead of the fact that a garage, that was never originally meant to be lived in, is now a bedroom. This is just part of apartment living and should be expected. Personally, I always got a top floor apartment because I didn’t want to hear people above me stomping around but that doesn’t mean that I didn’t hear telephones ringing, toilets flushing or any other thing that is to be expected from living in an apartment.

I live in the boonies and I don’t bitch to my neighbors that I can hear them riding motorcycles or shooting their guns and they don’t bitch about my rooster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mike Antonetti

Tell her to work the “night shift”

13. Jim McClain

No, many are under 50 bucks. Most popular seems to be about 45.

She. She has 14-year old twins and I think she's maybe late-thirties. She's a teacher who works 12-14 hour days - she wanted to be sure to tell me that in her text. And her possible solution was to buy earplugs and give up one of her single mom senses. In other words, apparently, I am jeopardizing her children's safety.

14. Mark Brown

Oh jimmy you got yourself a wish I was a white collar academic on your hands, just move!!!

15. Mike Antonetti

Earplugs don’t work, they’re uncomfortable, I think they’ll cause ear infections from blocking air. I’ve tried em for others snoring. I see why she wants quietness to listen. For years I’ve slept to the tv cause my wife has tinnitus, doesn’t want to hear the ringing. I have it as well 99% of time I think I’m fine with it. Saw some ads following me to put oil or whatever but I haven’t clicked on it yet. I “heard” it was not curable.

16. Mike Antonetti

Sorry Jim, after careful consideration your laugh has to be relocated. Teacher takes precedence over your occupation. Is it a she? So a divorce? I think what humans call compassion for her situation and her livelihood.

Watch the show, then when it’s over go to the other side of duplex and let it out.

I didn’t find that sound machine that my wife borrowed from her friend it had the phone charger that plugged into and battery lasted quite awhile. Low profile kinda kidney shaped if I recall. I bought a new blender container for my wife’s commercial blender coffee shop frozens they made, it was going to be for Pina Colada’s at the condo, the friend borrowed it for “smoothies” so I wanted to return the sound machine so I could get the blender back. They are a lot cheaper thanks to our Chinese buddies.

17. Jim McClain

You're right, but not because of any of the considerations you mentioned. I sometimes forget that I'm just a fellow tenant. If I had a neighbor that made noises - whatever kind of noises they were - in the middle of the night, I would complain too.

Bottom line, my new neighbor was right to complain. I was offended, but it was unwarranted. Staying up 'til 3 or 4 or later is not what the normal person does. Apartment dwellers, including me, should be more considerate of their neighbors and try to prevent disturbing them during normal sleeping hours. I had to swallow my pride and arrogance and apologize to her.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mike Antonetti

Wow, impressive. We had a neighbor at the condo that the owner didn’t care who rented it as long as $$. The couple lady was about 15 years older than him they use to fight verbally in middle of night(meth heads) so my wife got her aunt to buy the place and away they went. Interesting arguments was not too easy to hear but she said one time “be a man” think it was the bills. There’s a whole bunch of drama at an apartment complex I want none of. Duplex? That’s like free security.

19. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Try hanging a rug or tapestry on the offending wall, could possibly absorb the sound to a tolerable level. Also pictures and thing on the walls in your apt may help.

:old:

Daris

20. Jim McClain

Some kind of cloth/fabric hanging might help, but the wall is already covered with nearly a dozen framed photos (they come and go as I switch them out or sell one). Problem with fabric though is it collects dust and movement caused by the fan of brushing against it makes it difficult to breathe. I might be able to come up with something though. Thanks for the idea.