NOFMA Basic Installation Class

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by selvalee, Sep 18, 2006.

1. selvalee

selvalee No one special Senior Member

I am not sure but I think there is another basic installation class this Spring.
    Is anyone here interested?
    I was suppose to go but recent events, like a new TV for Mom, slow work, new printer and laptop, and some new equipment put an end to that idea. I was invited to go as a monitor to help out. Now, before anyone starts thinking I am getting big headed, a monitor is a fancy term for "fetch it boy". :p :D

But, I plan to go back this Spring if there is one. Now, is there anyone here who would like to go? I thought it might be good if we got a group up to go from here.

The class teaches about wood. 50%/50% classroom/hands one. Installation, sand/finish. It is also a requirement if anyone here wants to go the NOFMA Inspection Class sometime in the future. The class is taught by Mr. Moore, the head Tech expert on wood in the U.S.

May I suggest, if you guys are interested, I will get the date. However, I must warn you guys, this class is great but you have to give a non refundable deposit several months in advance to secure a spot in the class. This class has more and better knowledge wise than another inspector class taught by an national organization (not our buddy Tandy, in fact, Tandy went to this class at the same time as me).

The class will cover the basics of wood science, grading rules, installation standards, and, there are industry professionals, from finishing companies, nationally recognized installation experts who have won National Floor of the Year awards, and more. You learn from the experts.

I think a group of us all going at the same time would also help us compare notes and learn more than usual.

anyone interested?

Selva Lee Tucker

2. Al Gladden

Al Gladden stretcherman Charter Member

where is it going to be located?

3. selvalee

Most of the time they have them in St. Louis, fall and spring,
    how you been? not seen you fuss at me in a while, you don't love us anymore? :) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :dance: :dance:

4. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Resting In Peace

I went to it about five years ago , it was in Tenn .. they were there with NWFA .. its a great class for the beginner ..

5. Peter Kodner

Peter Kodner Inspector Floors Charter Member Senior Member

Lee, I'm very interested and will start saving my pennies now. As I recall their courses are not cheap. What will it run? It would be all the more attractive if some others from this great group attended. Love to have faces with many of these names :)

As for me, I am told I have the perfect face for radio... lmao :shifty: :eek:

6. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Resting In Peace

If i recall pete , i paid $300.00 or $ 360.00 .. Came with a nice catered lunch every day , and they took everyone into the city the last night ..[ you paid for everything , except the ride ] ..

7. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The Basics class is given twice a year, it used to be NOFMA but now is partnered with NWFA and MWFA. This is copied from the NOFMA site.

[NOFMA/MFMA/NWFA Wood Flooring Basics School

NOFMA: The Wood Flooring Manufacturers, partnered with National Wood Flooring Association (NWFA) and Maple Flooring Manufacturers Association, Inc. (MFMA), offers a comprehensive Wood Flooring Basics school.

The course curriculum covers all aspects of proper wood flooring installation, including sections on Wood Products and Characteristics, Job Site Evaluation and Preparation, Layout, Installation Techniques, Fillers-Repairs-Special Tools; Sanding & Finishing, Specialty Products & Examination; Estimating Mechanic Production Time and Specialties; and Trouble Shooting & Handling Complaints.

Those who attend and participate in all scheduled sessions will receive a certificate of completion and a wallet card, and their names will be posted on the NOFMA web site. The course is also a pre-requisite for the NOFMA Certified Wood Flooring Inspector program.

The following dates are scheduled for Wood Flooring Basics School. For additional information or to register for the school, click on the applicable date below.

September 19-22, 2006 ]

So, I guess that no spring 2007 date is yet out there. Oh, and the cost to non members is $595. Maybe Lee as a member can log on to NWFA website and get a discount.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  8. selvalee

hey,
    this class will give you guys the begining to understanding wood and wood installations,,,,
    iti is required if any of you want to someday go to the NOFMA inspection class,,, I mean, come on guys, give me a big list to send them, and, they will contact you,,
    hands on, class room, and taught by the best in the biz,, at that price? you can not get anybetter,,
    yes, for beginers but it is the best for the basic understanding of wood, and wood installations,
    slt

9. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Add my name to your list, just remember what happens after you take names. Thats if you are man enough.:D :D

10. tony lamar

tony lamar Charter Member

Sounds interesting. I'd like to try to attend if I can swing it. When you get some specifics as to where, when, how much, let us know.

11. selvalee

rgfloors,
    i be too old and weak to do more than say call them with I get the info,
    slt

12. Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas Charter Member Senior Member

I am interested but not ready to commit yet without more info Lee.

13. selvalee

OK
    serious now, they are suppose to have another class this year.
    my email is selvatucker@charter.net

if you guys are interested, please email me and I will send you a form to sign up,,
    so,come on, this is the best course you can get for this price.... most of the cost is paid for my the Association,,

so, lets be interest and lets be good!

I think a few others will be there that will be of interest to you guys,, but, no names, yet!
    slt

14. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'll go if its this year...I'll email ya so you can send me the form!

15. selvalee

Steve,
    will send it as soon as they send me one or tell me where to copy/paste it here and in an email,
    slt