No one yet wants to Anchor Church Pews

Discussion in 'Ceramic & Stone Sales and Installations' started by Mike Antonetti, May 7, 2019.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Contractor May want to tile around, guy in charge wants to anchor on top. Big dispute I’m in middle of.

Attached Files:

2. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

As a former mostly vinyl, vct guy, I would vote for anchor on top of new floor. It's a nightmare trying to spread thinset, fit around, grout around those pews. Not a lot of room there to begin with. Not a job I would want. Move em out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Mike Antonetti

That’s my opinion as well, the retailer wants to cut around, not sure about the setter. Then there’s the ratcheting down and possibility of cracking . The church associates say they may want to move them in different locations then it would leave the cutout versus bolt holes. They had an 11 o’clock meeting, not sure what was decided.

4. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Ahhhh....just use velcro! :):p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Is it going ceramic? If carpet just leave the studs in and cut around. Otherwise have a lot of cardboard for templating or pattern paper.

:old:

Daris

6. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

"the retailer wants to cut around"
    Yea, famous last words from the guy NOT doing the install. Just got to love comments like that. It would be nice to get some input from the installer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

Not sure how it was resolved but the installers showed up with the ? Tile Contractor and they said they’re going to redrill. He was saying it’s going to cost thousands to get the equipment but Jose and Orlando didn’t seem to flinch and all I had to do was put em all on one side.

Grinder took out staples like a mower.

Porcelain tiles going back Daris, gonna be noisy?

Attached Files:

8. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Thousands to get the equipment? What kind of equipment are they planning on using?

9. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

The big church in Ocala they tiled then drilled in the bolts but put in a nut and washer just about 1/8 above the tile
    Then bolted it down. So they don’t set on the tile but the big bolts been this way for 10-15 years and not one has cane lose that I’ve heard of.

Kinda like wall hung toilets it’s the bolts that are to carry the weight not the walls.

10. Mike Antonetti

Interesting. They were kinda rigged a bit, circular holes on the downposts, some bigger bolts to take up the gap on top. Wasn’t in my bid to pull and move these, then drive around them all but good practice maneuvering. And they added 400 more Ft of grinding which made up for it.

The pastor said they were going to epoxy the bolts in. Concrete was dusty weak. The pews were cut down for more room up front so I suppose they could move again. One was put at back of wall to open an area for wheelchair use.

There was an issue with time constraints and “getting paid to perform the additional work” I think a commercial superintendent is now tiling a few rooms and their going to membrane the large area. I hope they know how to deal with chalky slabs.

I think a core drill. I saw the tile, 20” porcelain semi rough texture, nothing exotic. Too much drama for my liking. I couldn’t figure for the life of me why any tilesetter would want to cut around, work under those. I contacted another tilesetter and he was agreeing with tiling around as well.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  11. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Did one with carpet ...we left the bolts in the floor and cut them out. I'd do the same with tile. Lots or churches end up switching to chairs at some point so tiling around them is pretty foolish

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1