1. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

No ma'am... there is nothing harmful in this vinyl plank at all
    20191107_225719.jpg
    I just have bad skin....

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Got a new extension cord yesterday, said “wash hands after handling” all this stuff with carcinogens are being absorbed into our skin.

3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Quit dragging your hands when walking Monkey. Been retired 14 years and still have a little bit of monkey knuckle left. But the hair has grown back on my knees. I think the body transplanted it from my head.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
  4. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

Yes, my hands took about 2 years of retirement to get rid of the calluses on the knuckles and get softer and more feeling hands again, and the fur grew back on my knees. And yes, the head is still a problem.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Daris Mulkin

Someone told me if you rubbed maidens oil on it, it would help. It didn't but it was fun getting the oil.

Daris

6. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

Is that maiden oil like 3-1 oil?

7. Daris Mulkin

Not quite but better than K-Y.

Daris

8. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

We're TRYING to wear glove as much as feasible. The apprentices are getting used to it. Much harder for us older folk. But this newfangled crap with metalic oxides. ceramic bead. fiberglass and other space age chemistry will win over the skin on your hands day in and day out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

I wore gloves the last 5 years or so I did floors. They were cloth with the finger tips cut off, worked real good and stopped a lot of cuts and scrapes when handling material. I did a lot vinyl in my day.

10. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Never took the idea of gloves seriously until one day (2008) I cut up a wing of a hospital with an aluminum oxide finish layer on about 500-750 s/y of sheet vinyl. When my fingertips started bleeding half ways through I didn't even blink an eye. By the time I was done my hands were starting to show redness. An hour or so later on the ride home my hands were swelling up and quite RED. Got home and pounded a few cold beers with my neighbor and this is like 2 hours passed by and now I was ready to go to the doctors as the PAIN was ridiculous and when I showed my hands to my neighbor and his wife they freaked out. You could almost see the throbbing and ..............

well, bottom line is I no longer call those guys wearing gloves names that imply they are less than manly men

11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

All the guys that I worked with through the years all had terrible looking hands. I don't have any of that, a little thick skin on knuckles but pretty normal hands. I don't know what you do that is different that does that. Im more in focus on my wrists than anthing else. Checking on a glove for carpal tunnel that might help some.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Daris Mulkin

Got them about 2 months ago. My hands were going on fire about 4 in the morning. Went to Ortho and they prescribe them. Pain in the ass to put on but do the job. But I will tell you one thing I won't go through that test to find out if I got CARPET tunnel again. I know what a taser would feel like. Only have to wear them at night.

Daris

13. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

Speaking of hands... I finished a big LVT job in a paper company last Friday. One of the last things I did was put base in the break area bathrooms, the flooring was new, but in just a few days they were already pretty nasty especially the mens.

Sunday, I noticed the ring finger on my right hand was sore, Monday it was more so. I woke up Tuesday in pain and the tip of my finger was discolored and swollen. Time to check in with Dr. Google. It looks like its a cuticle infection. Not much a real doctor will do except take your money, make you wait 5 - 10 days and if it isn't going away prescribe antibiotics.

By weds afternoon the tip of my finger was black and blue, twice it's normal size and throbbing like a toothache. I couldn't think straight it hurt so much. Ok, I need to lance this mother and now.

I grabbed a razor blade and stuck it in my vice with just a tiny corner sticking out. It was that moment I turned in to a little girl (no offence toward little girls intended). I cut myself all the time, half the time I don't even feel it when it happens but I just couldn't bring myself to do it on purpose. I think part of the reason was that it hurt so bad already and I was afraid it might hurt worse. I stared at that razor blade for 10 minutes all the while my finger was throbbing like a mother. It hurt so bad, the fingers surrounding it were throbbing sympathetically.

Finally I just ever so daintily laid my finger on the blade not intending to slice it but more to find a spot where it wouldn't hurt so much. That was all it took. It was an explosion of puss and blood. God it felt good. It was a fingergasm. All the pain went away instantly, though it still hurt to bump it on anything.

It is still pretty ugly but today it looks like it might be healing up. It does't hurt nearly as bad when I bump it. I'd post pictures but it would put you off your lunch.

I am a carpet guy for the most part. In fact, in my 40+ year career this may just be the first time I've worked in a public restroom like this. I've definitely learned my lesson though. If I ever do another, gloves will be worn.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

IMG_20191110_065742-540x960.jpg Never thought about the exposure angle to wearing gloves. But last month when I installed new Tekno floor and carpet tiles in a 7200 sq ft medical suite solo, my left arm and both hands were beat up so badly I had to do something to protect them. As a result of blood pressure meds and aging, everytime I bang the skin, I tear it a bit. A compression sleeve, (or long sleeves,but it still to warm for those) and these gloves, really help. The gloves fit great, and have enough tactile feel that I only take them off to tape, caulk, or use the cell phone.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 3