No Clue

Discussion in 'Carpet Sales and Installations' started by Daris Mulkin, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm going to help a friend roll out a 68 ft piece of carpet today in a jewelry store. There are more obstacles that the law should allow. The biggest are we have that is open is about 10 ft 18 ft fom the front wall and that isn't 12 ft wide and has a 4x4 area that is marble right in the middlw of that whch can be cut out later. In all there are like 2 pit areas where the salesperson can stand to show merchandise. Oh did I say it is a patterned carpet. Told it is 18x36 match but looking it over last night 3 of could not find a repeat in 68 ft. Carpet is 12-1 wide plus the selvege. Has what looks like match point red dots on the side but could not match up anything. We even thought of making a paper pattern of the floor. So that is going to be my fun for the day. Oh this jewelry store is to open Sunday. Also the dispay cases are cover with glass on the fronts.

:old:

Daris

2. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

You know what my nephew would say to that " Sucks being You " ;)
    I hope this is the Pro-Forum :p

You're going to need more Men or Women, hopefully some nice contractors
    or ' Batman Customer ' ( like Tom had ) to help out.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Sounds like paper time, or at least a detailed cut out pre-jobsite to wittle down some of it. Plus you lose alot of the weight that way, but ai guess I’m not really telling you anything you don’t know already

4. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

Sounds like it would’ve been a good candidate for some carpet tile .
    #carpetsucks

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I agree carpet tile. Poor planning on his part. We did a jewelry store, the owner moved a lot of stuff, cuz it coulda fell in my pocket accidentally(not meaning to entice anyone!) had my ride on and we grinded the floor, put carpet tile down. Owner was real happy, tipped 100$ each, don’t think the retailer told em it was extra till we were gone.

Anyway I’ll be back to fix my wife’s watch and maybe buy her some jewelry since they were appreciative.

That would be trimmed off as much as possible prior to placing.

6. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

I did a jewelry store with broadloom carpet a few years ago , but luckily it was summertime and we could roll out the material in the parking lot and cut it down like a jigsaw puzzle piece
    Still was a p.i.t.a.

7. Daris Mulkin

Installer[my friend] wanted him to put in tile. Owner didn't want any part of it. I also suggested ripping in half lengthwise but the owner didn't want any additional seams. And the bad part of it is it is a side job for my buddy. I know what he is paid through the store he works for so I'm sure he is charging less. I told him what I charge and he said I was rediculous. I even set him up on a new house through my builder and he lowered the price from what I told him. Who knows its his problem, I'm just trying to help him out.

Daris

8. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Good position to be in Daris, no pressure! But still try to “make” him understand he’s only hurting himself.

9. Daris Mulkin

Well the job is almost complete. My buddy doesn't listen very well when I gave him advice on how to wrangle carpet down behind the main counter and changed my lay out and moved seams. Owner not happy with one of the seams. He also was given the wrong reducer to but up to tile of some sort not sure what it is but the reducer[carpet to tile] doesn't have high enough leg on it so it is tippy. Then he glued the carpet in thinking to put the reducer down after the carpet is glued in and it is stuck like the bark on a tree. Also there is like a lounging area where Rolex furnished the carpet that is inset between marble on all four sides. Marble had quite a heigth to it an we told him how to make a screed the thickness of the carpet and fill the area. He didn't measure the carpet and used wood strips as a guide for the fill. Guess what the carpet is an enhancer with foam and felt backing, not carpet is above the marble enough to show the white foam . I played with a scrap and was able to peel the foam off so I hope that works for him. Nightmare job to start with and all these problems that could have been avoided it he would have listened. For whatever reason he won't lay out the carpet, rough cut it, then glue. Its always bull it through the wet glue. Makes the job twice as hard. You sure can tell he is a residental installer.

Daris

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Some people just dont want to hear it Daris. Best you can do is continue being a good buddy & help the way he wants you to (his job).

Unfortunately when you sign up for that kind of thing, your name goes on it as well. If you live in a small town (like I do) that could be an issue.

I would find a spot where you could be loyal to a friend but still have the customer understand it's not your job. It's a spot I have been a few times in my life

• Like Like x 3
  11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Sounds like salesmen that would sell anything for anything. Not seeing the layout it sounds like rolling up lengthwise to drop through but being enhancer back that would be hard.

12. Daris Mulkin

Well the buddy who this post is about called and he has another job-no clue what he is in for. It is a ppiece of Kane carpet with a 5x4 pattern match. in a store owners house. He has never laid a face to face before. When I tod him it has to go over fiber pad he about crapped himself . No way was the response he would do it. Put it over 8lb. 3/8 rebond was the answer. Personally I hate Kane carpet, always a tough install. Last one I did the customer was vacuuming with a shop vac and lifted it off the strip which was commercial with a 1" back up all new. I think it took 5 days for like 60 yards, but it was a theater room in the basement with built ups on the ends. I guess it is the whole house. So we will see if he gets it. i told him my price and again he about crapped. He is used to the $4 per sq. yd. he normally gets.

Daris

13. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Some people will never learn. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

14. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You talking about that guy I mentioned in the post Staining Carpet Tiles? :)
    You can spend hours explaining something he asked how to do something but doesn't listen as he will start talking about something else

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1