Night Work on Surgical Corridors

Discussion in 'Spotlight on Flooring Professionalism' started by Steve Olson, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm kind of embarrassed to post these, not much yardage to what you all average a day, but it is what it is. Surgical corridors, 2 about 65, and 2 about 80, plus the little alcoves here and there. Surgery rooms have Epoxy floors. I have a helper, great guy but very little knowledge, just happy to have a guy that shows up, works hard and wants to help. Plus, this kid is country strong, which helps with demo and hefting the cuts through the infection control zipper access. Anyway, field and borders, and a few demarcation lines along the way. 1 day to demo and float each corridor, then each half to be installed and welded in a day. 3 days per corridor. This is the turn at each intersection of corridors, this one took 8 hours. Start time is 8pm, made cuts at the shop before. Home at 4:30 am. This was a lot easier when I was 40, lol. 20180824_031826-1328x747.jpg 20180824_031854-1328x747.jpg 20180824_031904-1328x747.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

:good:Definitely Spotlight worthy.

3. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Look nice good job

Yea working at night was a lot easier on me to when I was 40
    My biggest problem is not sleeping in the day time I get off work like you said 4:00 or 5:00 am and time I get home I’m so wound up can’t sleep

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

That's the way I was a couple of months ago, got home watched the sun come up and tried to sleep. I should have worked on.

5. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Any job of that nature and FORGET about production. You have to go in sections as they'll allow. Looks very nice so far. It's not like there's a long line of men CAPABLE and willing to take over that project. I sure hope you're getting paid well!

6. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

So I guess you're 41 now :p ..........Great Job Steve, looks really Nice.

7. Night jobs kill me now a day. When you get home the sun is rising & birds chirping. Something in my head says get up & make coffee. My internal alarms go all haywire.

8. I worked freight at night at Home Depot for @ 1 year back in the boom, daylight I’d work doing remodels/rentals/side jobs/lawns during the day. There was no stop time due to darkness. Sleep would be right when I got home or 6 hours before work depending on tiredness. Got a buddy that works at power plant with scrambled hours, they say it takes years off your life shift work.

9. Steve Olson

Finished up the second corridor on Tuesday night, my back started giving me fits. Sciatica again. Since then, I've been flat on my back. Work there has stopped, at least for me. Going to be interesting. 20180829_023146 (1).jpg

10. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I hear you on the back thing
    About two weeks ago I was out for like 6-7 days could not hardly get out of bed or even up the walk around it was rough.
    Went to my doctor and he got me on some pills for 5-6 days it did help but the side effects from the pills was not so good. I used a lot of my heating pad and then ice pack it at least got some of the pain away.

Attached Files:

11. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I had problems myself a couple weeks ago. My body was pointing in one direction and I was walking in another. Went to see the bone cracker and walked out straight and the right way.

• Like Like x 1
  12. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

That Prednesone put me in the hospital twice with heart attack symptoms, the last time for Thanksgiving and my 80th birthday. On my list of no-nos for sure!

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. I played the waiting game for about 5 days, then went to chiropractor, helped tremendously. My neck was cricked, now I try to pay conscious attention, sleeping position doesn’t help. Mattress, pillow, just buying me more time. Aleve’s helped endure pain while working.

14. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Man, I just read the side effects of that medication and I think I’d rather self medicate and deal with the pain than create a whole new set of problems.

15. I'm a little iffy about taking any of the CRAP these doctors are pushing. The pills they give you because you hurt yourself are the same pills that skinny little junkie at the gas station that's always asking for change takes & can't stop taking. I have to be in some excruciating pain to swallow one of those things. Not to mention being a tradesman, seeing many other tradesmen get caught up in that shit.

There's a whole epidemic going on right now that all stems from the doctor's pushing dope. My mens one a day, rolaids & the occasional advil is about all I'm willing to swallow.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Steve Olson

Couple guys I work with gave me some CBD infused cream, I have to say it really works well. I've been able to get up and walk a bit, and this morning got up and went out to have coffee and breakfast with the wife. Especially nice is not having to worry about over dose's or side effects. Slept great last night as well. Side benefit, I've had some chronic shoulder pain, helped with that as well.

17. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

And then there is alcohol too.

18. My wife recommended that (cbd oil)to my brothers in laws. They said it works well. They’re in their 80’s. On many prescriptions.

19. Alcoholism is a real problem too. But them opiates are a huge problem right now.
    Theres a dope house behind our warehouse. Every morning I get a coffee & back up to our loading door to relax a bit before my guy's roll in. The traffic that goes to that house at 6am is ridiculous. From teenagers to middle age folks. Needless to say I always get a show.