newly installed LVT squares squeak

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by DAB, Oct 18, 2017.

1. DAB

DAB Member

I recently had Shaw LVT squares professionally installed over a sheet vinyl floor. House was built in '98, flooring in over a basement and basement is dry. No previous flooring sounds in the areas that are having issues. Subfloor was in great shape. Vinyl was in good condition as well but was showing some wear and needed updating.

While the floor looks wonderful it has developed squeaks/cracks/pops over the past few weeks. If I quietly march on some of the squares I can hear crinkling sounds, popping sounds (almost like plastic pieces sliding and clicking of the end of each other), squeaks in areas where my floor never squeaked previously, and I am pretty sure I can even feel the squares shift up and down when they are making this sound. There is probably 30-40% of the tiles affected. Areas are scattered throughout the installation. The sounds do tend to be a little more pronounced on cooler days when I have the a/c off. Really frustrated at this point. Shaw is supposed to be calling me to discuss the issue since the flooring store has contacted them.

Would like a little more insight prior to talking to Shaw so that I am not starting from ground zero with knowledge and want to use both my time and their time wisely.

Thanks in advance for your input and advice.

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Glue down or floating installation? If glued, Was a layer of 1/4” underlayment installed. If floating, was an underlayment used?

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I can’t remember the wording on noises/squeaking warranties. Maybe hollow or tapping sounds are not warrantied but product friction is? Then the sheet vinyl may be in question if it’s not felt back and has minimal flex.

4. DAB

DAB Member

Attached is a photo from the edge of a vent I pulled up. One of those layers in my old vinyl. They did put a sheet type of product down under the new flooring which had an adhesive on it. I am not sure how thick it was but I don't think it was 1/4 inch thick judging from the scraps I helped clean up a few evenings. I don't know if they put additional adhesive on top of it.

These are three brief videos in which you can hear the sound the floor is making. Each spot is a different site.

The floor was installed the last week of August this year if that helps at all.

Attached Files:

5. Mike Antonetti

Wow, you got video on here, rock on. Absolutely needs replacing. The sheet/adhesive material is the cause. I’d like to know the specific brand of material used. Is it grouted vinyl tile?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Ya mate, you got yourself a problem. Whatever they used as an underlay is moving.

7. Chris 45

Is it just me or does the LVT look like it is not sitting tight against the 1/4”?

8. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I have been trying to figure that picture out since it was posted

9. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Post #1 clearly states..............Shaw!

10. Mike Antonetti

“They did put a sheet type of product downunder the new flooring which had an adhesiveon it.“

And what does it clearly state about who the manufacturer of this is?

So if you have “attitude” bring it brother!

11. Chris 45

What Shaw product was installed. Wondering if whatever adhesive sheet the installers used has something to do with this. Why would they use an adhesive sheet product as opposed to just plain ol adhesive? Something doesn’t sound right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mike Antonetti

Can you find out the name of that roll underlayment?

13. Chris 45

So did they not put down 1/4” plywood underlayment over your existing layer of vinyl/ lino?

14. Mike Antonetti

15. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

It seemed clear to me that Mike was asking for a specific brand name. Shaw has several branded qualities of LVT/P. Knowing which one this is might be helpful.

This is what we have a PM system for. No need to air personal differences in public topics.

16. Mike Antonetti

I’d just like to know if it’s roll underlayment, it’s obviously not compatible with this particular LVT.

I think there’s a lot of improper sheet membrane going under these products.

The “administrative assistant” has not contacted me via email, ask my family, I do not let things go. I’m Quite the antagonist, this is not his first time, this method could be a way to end it, doesn’t matter to me.

17. DAB

DAB Member

Copy of invoice

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mike Antonetti

Solitaire Underlayment, whatever that is. Search underway!

Doesn’t look like it’s for over existing vinyl.

Shaw SOLITAIRE Underlayment 792 SF

I edited/added after your post.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DAB

DAB Member

Sorry, long day at work and didn't have a chance to venture back here. So:
    *yes it is Shaw LVT squares that are grouted
    *no plywood over my linoleum/vinyl sheet (originally installed in 98 if that helps)
    *yes, I checked and at each vent opening I can lift the new floor off the old floor with my fingertips and easily pick it up over 1/4 inch.
    *per a conversation with the interior designer/floor gal today they used Solitaire Underlayment. Not sure if it was the underlayment that was sticky or adhesive they put on top.
    *they mentioned wanting to reuse the tiles after removing them. I told them I wasn't ok with that on any level. We are talking over 100 tiles and I am not convinced having them pulled up, grout removed and replaced will leave those tiles in good condition.
    *question: is the underlayment typically glued to the floor or does it float? AKA: how big of a mess is this going to be getting it out?
    *and just curious what the consensus is of Shaw LVT? It obviously needs to come out, should we go with a different product? If so, what? And I suspect a PM might be the most appropriate way to do that?

and a huge thanks for all your thoughts and input.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  20. DAB

DAB Member

• Agree Agree x 2