New windows update

Discussion in 'High Tech Tools & Equipment Support' started by kwfloors, Feb 7, 2016.

1. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

So we got the new update on our windows 10 system today that installed. It sucks. Lost email, settings are all screwed up, things are missing. I'm about to throw this thing out and go apple or something.

2. kwfloors

I turned it off and restarted again for the 4th time and now things are getting better but still screwed up my one email. Have to call our provider tomorrow for that.

3. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

I downloaded the 10 for both of our computers. after about a week, I went back to the Win 7. At that time the option to undo was available, and I did it. My tech person told me that Win 7 is good to go until 2020, so I figured that I am covered for at least that long. At 78, I am not buying anything for the looooong haul anymore.
    Dick

4. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Ken you have got a few weeks to uninstal Windows 10 to go back to orginal but your email might have still gone
    The big issue I found is that they want you to use Win 10 email account
    I spent about 1 hour with my ISP trying to get my old email back as Win 10 was too new for the guys I was talking to until 1 guy new how to sort it
    I will see if I can find out how I did it if you like?
    Someone who knows more about puters might have brighter ideas though
    You really have to look how to get making a new email address which enables you to type in the POP numbers etc from your ISP
    I have Win 10 on 2 putters with no problems except my ISP email
    Outlook which comes with Win 10 was fine

5. Jon Scanlan

Found out what I did I think?
    Go to email settings, Manage Accounts, Add Account then scroll down to Other Account where you will see POP, IMAP
    I might have got it from the Microsoft main page My Account or Your Info
    I know it was hard to find

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 a little while back and it was fairly painless. The email problem must be specific to certain accounts or programs because I didn't have the same experience. This article may help solve your issue though: Missing Outlook data files after upgrading Windows?

Jim

7. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

I've always loved Windows 7. Loved XP. I am actually extremely happy with my new Dell with W 10. Runs like a champ.
    I upgraded my Father in Laws 8 computer about a month ago, and all his problems and glitches went away. I did a fresh install, so maybe that helped instead of installing over an old operating system.
    I expected to hate W10, but I honestly feel it is their best OS to date.
    I also see no use for any email service other than Gmail, so outlook is not even a thought.
    Steve

8. kwfloors

I went from Xp to 8.1 and then to 10 just after I got going with the 8.1. ISP said to bring it in so they can figure it out. I bought this computer at BestBuy but haven't heard anything good about their 'geek squad' but I have had our ISP fix other things and they have been good. We didn't sync my original email, they had us use Live mail and it worked fine til this update. When I click the mail icon a box says its missing a file called MSVCR110.dll.

9. Jon Scanlan

I don't know how Gmail works but I would presume one would have to be logged on to read emails like most email servers I have looked at?
    With my Webmail I have to read each email and then reply while on line
    With Outlook one can log on to down load emails then log off. One can then read the emails off line and reply to each one by hitting send while still being offline. One then goes back online and all the replies just fly in a few seconds, including photos
    This way works very well on ships where you are paying something like US$1 per minute for slower than dial up speed
    The Antarctica cruise of 21 days we had unlimited internet which cost US$400

10. Jim McClain

If you bought that computer with Windows XP pre-loaded, you now have pretty dated hardware. I wouldn't keep a hard drive that long without serious worries. Your other hardware could also be perilously close to failure. Did you perform any compatibility test before the new installation? 'Course, even with passing compatibility, I'd still be concerned about the age of some of the hardware. You could begin to see error messages and other problems without much warning. Tracking them down would not be easy.

11. kwfloors

I love gmail, I can delete without opening the email which is one of the things I hate about outlook. This is a newer computer than my XP computer. This one had 8.1 and 2 months later was WIN 10.

12. Jon Scanlan

Wife just checked gmail and it seems one can read emails off line as well

13. Jim McClain

Are you talking about outlook.com email, or MS Outlook program. I run Outlook 2013 and have no trouble deleting emails without opening them. It was the same for earlier versions.

14. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

I use emclient for mail and it pulls mail from gmail and comcast to one program. There is also a calendar that you can link to your smart phone and any calendar entries show up in both places, no matter where you enter the information, phone or computer, desktop or laptop. As long as they are linked, you are good to go. It takes a google or gmail account to do it.

15. Jon Scanlan

That US$400 works out at NZ$600.48 so you can see why we do not like using email systems which one has to be on line to read them on ships

16. Jon Scanlan

Those are the ones I like
    I tried Windows Live as it came with the puter but any emails with photos I received and then forwarded it just gave a red cross for the photo so I bought a program with Outlook 2013 on it and that fixed it

17. kwfloors

I was talking about the old original outlook express mail that was on my xp pro system. My main computer with this issue is in the tech shop now getting fixed by the pro's now. Catching up here on my old xp laptop that is slower than a turtle.

18. Jim McClain

I don't think Outlook Express is supported on Windows 10 - Windows 8 either.

19. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

I just checked with my Pac Sol guy and he swiftly replied "Do NOT install Windows 10!!!
    Personally, I'm a mac guy and my IT guy has had me all set up with pac sol remotely for my mac book pro. Great for working at home or at a job location.
    But my office Dell runs windows, and is pretty temperamental.
    DB

20. kwfloors

The mail app that came with this computer is still Outlook but different. I don't use it other than an email setup during start up when we bought this machine.
    I have been hearing about this windows 10 being not good too.