new member. g/day name is Trevor Norman

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 81200c, Sep 17, 2017.

1. 81200c

81200c Pro Member

I live in a small town in the south east of south Australia. floor coverings have been my life since 1972, when I entered the trade as an apprentice layer. i served my time and more as a wage earner, and then another decade as a contract layer. both my wife and I then set up a small retail business supplying and installing carpets, vinyls, cork, curtains, blinds, overlocking and auto upholstery/ canopies. I can see by the posts that your industry overseas has the same pitfalls and problems that we have here. I joined the forum mainly to try and get some advice on union special carpet overlockers of which I have a few and love them. my pet at the moment is a 81300 A top and bottom feed . Im glad to be part of the forum, and hope I cen make a usefull contribution with my experience. Trev.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

:welcome: I hope we can help and you help us. Its a great group here and Jim rules with an iron fist on the rules which is good. No bs. I started in 1966 on Sep 24.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Welcome Trevor!!! I'm mostly a hard surface guy, but I'm always interested to learn something new. Had to look up what a overlocker was so you've already taught me something!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Welcome Trev, ran into a friendly Australian couple at the US open
    tennis tournament in NY .........was that you ? ;) Love the accent !

Liked that introduction and a small town store owner working
    with the wife sounds nice.

Have fun on the forum, lets talk more success
    than pitfalls, why should complaining get all the actiono_O

Welcome !!
  5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Now now, don't be scarring the masses off by sayin Jim rules with an iron fist!! At least he keeps the velvet glove on.......most of the time.

I often said I was quitting on 10/8 since i will be 70 then. But certain people have asked me to continue or at least 1 more year. sigh!!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Elmer 70 is to young to throw in the hat. You will find out you miss it and try and do it some more. Just ask me. 73 and holding.

7. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Holy sweet merciful crap, I'm 33, been flooring since 17 and I'm counting down the days until retirement :)

You folks are hero's in my book :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Glad to have you here. I also started in 1972. Still loving it.
  9. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

Welcome Trevor! I also learned something today. We have a binding machine or two in our warehouse, but I've never heard the term overlocker before and the gentleman who uses them had not either.
    It's also great to hear the same (and new) stories from other TFP participants that also reside in the southern hemisphere!
    Floor Covering is crazy world wide!
  10. 81200c

81200c Pro Member

Thankyou all for your healthy welcome. we only tend to use the term overlocker in Australia but ive since worked out they are called sergers in the north. it appears most workshops use binders with tape, and not the serger with yarn. Im more of a traditionalist and prefer to supply and lay carpet/ 4 meter wide vinyl. rather than all the laminates/pvc planks/boards bamboo etc. we can and have laid many but they are hard work and always seem to have issues that I end up having to sort out, that were not my responsability in the first place. once again thanks for the encouragement , im glad to be here. trev.