New LVT appears dirty but I’ve been told it’s texture.

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by L. Hopkins, Jul 3, 2019.

1. L. Hopkins

L. Hopkins Member

The LVT has been down almost a month. I’ve been reading reviews on this flooring but am at a loss as to what to do. The floor looks like greasy prints need to be cleaned off. When I use the mop and cleaner I was given for the floor I have trouble even sliding the mophead across the floor. I would like to show a picture to see if anyone knows what can be done.

7290CE33-3BB0-470B-90FA-30B216341020.jpeg

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Sure would be helpful if you told us what product we're looking at. :hu:

3. L. Hopkins

L. Hopkins Member

Mannington Adura Max LVT meridian. Thank you in advance.
    This is a photo from the floor pro. We have a sample, here, at home that looks similar to this picture, not our floor.

upload_2019-7-3_19-24-46.jpeg

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Why is there a shade variation in a pattern type installation? For test cleaning a small amount of mineral spirits on a white terry cloth towel.

Was it grouted? Gluedown?

That non blending of shade variation is atrocious. Guess who’s getting a call to replace some tile.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. L. Hopkins

L. Hopkins Member

It’s floating. What are we looking for using the mineral spirits? We were out of town when it was installed but had used the store and installer a couple months ago. Also, on another home years ago. I have cleaned as directed with the supplied product and swiffer type mop to no avail. I’m pretty sure, though the floor can get dirty, that it’s the ugly way the floor is. We’re not keeping it. I almost started pulling it up at one of the thresholds. I have a sign in the kitchen- remember, it’s not dirty: it’s texture. I’d appreciate any advice you or anyone on the forum have?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Most people associate smooth and shiny with outdated so manufacturers are making matte finish floors with lots of texture. I think it’s a case of perception becoming reality.

7. L. Hopkins

L. Hopkins Member

Since we’re over 70 we wanted a non slip type of flooring, preferably waterproof or water resistant tile. The color of the sample and the picture were good. We just can’t figure out why the picture taken in our kitchen and the sample don’t jibe.
    The floor is going “bye bye”. We’d rather not have to pay for it twice.
    If the floor is floating over the old floor, is it difficult to take the floating one up? Is it a DIY project?
    I really appreciate y’all taking the time to “listen” to our problem.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

In the upper portion of picture the size of the tile are different. 12x24 with 1/2 offset or brick pattern with a blended color variation. The bottom part are plank shape, 8x36 or 8x48” maybe and that’s to show that style flooring is made in different shapes.

Your flooring is maybe 16x16, or 18x18” square with regular pattern(joints line up) The major issue we can all see is that the color variation if that flooring is made to be like that is the installer did not blend the variations, basically put down and I don’t know how except he’s very color deficient and not notice that the pieces put together are not shuffled causing an odd lineup of now different colors. You probably have a valid complaint on that issue, not sure of the issue about appearance of the design on each tile since there’s no dirt,residue,etc.

The mineral spirits would’ve removed grout haze or adhesive had they smeared it with a cloth cleaning adhesive off surface causing a dull sticky surface.

I wouldn’t remove it until the placement of the tile variation is addressed and they agree some type of “credit” or replacement at their cost is agreed upon.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  9. Jeff Short

Jeff Short Veteran Flooring Retailer

What size are the tiles? Adura Max Meridian is currently only available in a 12"x24" size. If it's not that size, it's not Adura Max. IF it's a 16"x16" square tile, it's an older version of Adura Meridian, which was a glued down product.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. L. Hopkins

L. Hopkins Member

Thank you for the reply. It’s 12”x24”. Still discussing our options with Mannington and the local retailer.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Travis Scott

Travis Scott Pro Member

L. Hopkins, I have seen this on a lot of the Meridian products since they launched the latest display. More specifically it has only seemed to affect the Aduramax. Work with your retailer, file a claim and be patient. They should be willing to work with you on this. You may however have to pick a different floor option as this may be what you get the next time you order the Meridian. I have not been informed that the texture will go back to what it used to be.

12. L. Hopkins

L. Hopkins Member

Thank you. Mannington requested a tile to look at. We had no tiles left so took a sample out of the kitchen floor.
    Somehow, I feel better there have been other complaints about this “texture”. We won’t be using any type of product akin to this one.

13. Travis Scott

Travis Scott Pro Member

You are welcome. I would like to hear how this works out for you. Please keep us updated. On a side note. I absolutely love aduramax flooring and highly recommend it. We have sold thousands of sf and have had very little issues.

• Like Like x 1