New home, need help making flooring choices

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by bluebass, Feb 10, 2016.

1. bluebass

bluebass New Member

We have bamboo floors on the first floor of our current home (rental, DIY rehab) and they are an incredible pain to keep clean with 3 cats. We have been working on stone tile laid over concrete in the kitchen. In the winter it's cold enough to chill beer in 2 days.

We are having our dream home constructed, and are looking at flooring now. Bedrooms, living/dining room are going to be carpeted. However, we are trying to figure out what our best options will be for the kitchen/hearth, the hallway leading to it, and the bathrooms.

Our experience with our hardwood floors led us to vinyl. At first, we were thinking of a sheet product like Armstrong CushionStep. My wife liked the idea of having a soft floor when she goes into an all-day kitchen event :)

We started to worry about tears and dents from normal kitchen wear (e.g, dropping a chef's knife point down), so we started thinking about LVT or LVP because we heard that it is much easier to replace damaged areas.

Stone/porcelain are "too hard, and cold."

Researching has been difficult, because everybody is trying to get us to purchase the most expensive product they carry, so it's difficult to get an unbiased opinion. Cost is also a factor. Can I get some recommendations, or at least a sense of sheet vs. LVP vs. LVT? Nothing has been built yet, so it's completely open. All will be professionally done. See the attached PDF for details about layout and size. We can do the bathrooms separately from the rest of the house, but the kitchen area, foyer and hallway are going to be the same.

Thank you in advance! Never thought about all the decisions that go into having a house built as opposed to buying an existing one...

Attached Files:

2. JPfloor

JPfloor Pro Member

Stone or porcelain with radiant heat and area rugs or walk off mats suites my taste...

LVT or LVP would be my choice over sheet vinyl.

3. casemill

casemill Pro Member

Since I live in Texas, I see a lot of ceramic or porcelain tile in houses and in my own house the entire house is ceramic flooring except for the bedrooms. Personally, I don't like hard surfaces in bedrooms because there is always too many things in bedrooms that make it hard to clean the floor. It's a lot easier to vacuum than it is to mop around dressers and beds and the whatnot. But for living rooms and kitchens and hallways, I will always prefer hard surfaces. Now, your are thinking of doing sheet vinyl or luxury vinyl planks or luxury vinyl tiles. I, like JPFloor, prefer the planks and tiles to sheet vinyl. Not because of ease of repair, but because they just look better. A new vinyl floor is so wonderful at first. It's so easy to clean, it looks sanitary, you just want to walk on it in your sock feet and feel it's smooth, clean texture. And you will for about 6 months. Then it starts turning a little darker shade, some of the dimples hold dirt that you can't get out without a toothbrush and it's no longer shiny and slip-slidey.

When choosing a flooring, ease of repair should be at the bottom of your priorities.
    Your first concern should be to know if it is suitable for where you are going to install it. For example, in the 70's my dad put a lot of carpet in bathrooms, and I learned how to stretch carpet around a toilet. Nowadays, no one would consider installing carpet around their toilet. So, suitability is first. Your next consideration should be ease of maintenance. Is it easy to clean in the area that it is installed in?
    Then you compare the product's durability and price and buy the flooring that fits those criteria.