New Here... question about Quality, looking @Lifeproof...

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by KristySmile, Sep 5, 2017.

1. KristySmile

KristySmile New Member

Hi there,
    I have been reading around a bit and didn't see this product mentioned anywhere.

It is a fairly new product that they are selling at Home Depot (I know you guys don't like the big box products). But has anyone had an experience with this?

It has a lifetime residential warranty/5-year commercial. I like that it is waterproof, and have been tossing up between this, laminate. (I had considered ceramic wood-look planks but I think it's going to be too expensive with the install)

Anyway... I am looking at a product called "Lifeproof Luxury Vinyl Flooring, Rigid Core."

I appreciate any feedback. :)

Attached Files:

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

It is fairly new to the market so who knows how it holds up in the long run. I've been installing some of that lately because that's what the customers around me want. The only potential issue that I see with it is that you have to make sure that the long joints are fully seated when installing it. Of course floor flatness and all that kind of jazz has to be within specs but so far it seems like a decent product or at least as decent as can be expected from the orange box.

I think the biggest concern is the quality of install that you will receive from a big box store. You could get a great install or you could get hacked. It's really a crapshoot and you won't know until it's too late if you have an issue. Aside from that, if I had to choose between lifeproof and laminate, I'd choose lifeproof because I want to be able to actually live on my floor and not just look at it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KristySmile

KristySmile New Member

Hi! Thank you Chris! I am thinking to have someone other than "the orange box" do the install. Maybe a referral from a neighbor or something like that..... ? We've had carpet for years and it just needs to be replaced. We have a medium sized dog that we rescued and he brings in a lot of dirt, so in the 6-months that we've had him the carpet is looking worse and worse.... I think a hard floor would be a great solution and I have been wanting to do one for a long time anyway.

The other option would be the wood-look ceramic planks.... more expensive to install and I'm not sure about the subfloor issue and how they cannot really quote until the exisiting carpet is removed... gah!

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

No doubt the ceramic will be a more durable floor. Floating floors will be the more economical choice. They both have their place out there in the big picture of flooring.

The whole not being able to quote subfloor prep is because nobody knows what is going on under your carpet until it is removed. Could be a cake walk or it could be a nightmare. Carpet has the ability to hide a lot of imperfections that other flooring choices will not tolerate and that's where extra labor would come into play. Either way, I hope things go smoothly for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. j248

j248 I Support TFP

It is Metro floor the same as allure, allure ultra, and Isocore. Good brand, they just sell to box stores like Shaw, Mohawk, and all I can think of besides Mannington. It is interesting that Allure ultra gas a 20 mil wear layer for the same price, and I believe this Has a 6 mill. Everyone is claiming rigid core more often than WPC as CFR pointed out to me, so it is hard to tell the difference more and more...particularly for the consumer.

I think it is WPC as well, but either way with that or any sort of vinyl, it is water proof. this just means the product is waterproof, water is clever and can get underneath. The floor can get water between it and the product.
    I love vinyl, but sometimes ceramic planks make a room stand out.

6. VeronikaD

VeronikaD New Member

I had this carpet installed by Home Depot in my family room. Within 30 days the carpet snagged. My puppies were playing and one of the puppies got their collar stuck on one of the loops on the carpet. I complained several times to Home Depot (even called Corporate) and they refuse to do anything. I would NOT recommend this pet owners. I have two puppies and they are both no more than 10 lbs. If I wasn’t home, I hate to think what would could have happened to the puppy stuck to the loop in carpet.

Attached Files:

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I think your referring to lifegard carpet with the water barrier in the backing. Good info though, a Berber with continuous loop can snag. I did not have issues with our Berber in one house. This one is cut pile and we have a cat with claws that pulls on carpet, the wife use to yell at it, I said it won’t hurt. The snag could be repaired by a carpet repair technician. Not sure how I would handle your situation, I would need lots of details such as did they tell you it could snag?, obviously it was made for pets.