New Hardwood Floor Problem

Discussion in 'Hardwood and Laminates Q&A' started by kjr, Mar 17, 2018.

1. kjr

kjr Member

We are in the process of hardwood installation which is currently been done at our house.
    Attached are the pics of the wood flaws.
    I told my installer and he said that he will fix it.
    I am concerned as to why this is happening in first place.
    I would really appreciate if you could share your inputs.

Kindly see the attached pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2018
  2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I deleted 3 of your PDF files. If you have pictures to share, upload only image files, not PDF files. And please stop using all caps.

3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

That end joint is just a wee bit of bad milling, not the worst thing I have seen. Then you got some top damage puncture wound... again, should have been fixed. Those bumpy bits you are seeing where the wood pushes up I got $100 dollars on a staple or cleat being under that on the previous board that wasn't fully seated and someone just smashed a board into it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

I agree. Use a magnet to determine if it's a cleat or staple

5. kjr

kjr Member

THE PICTURES I POSTED WHICH SHOWS THE FLAWS ACTUALLY THERE ARE QUITE A FEW WHERE THE WOOD CHIP IN BUMPING OUT AND ONE CAN FEEL IT WHEN I RUN MY HAND ON IT.
    WHAT SHOULD I TELL MY CONTRACTOR?

6. Mark Brown

to replace your floor...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

As I said before,
    ...[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. kjr

kjr Member

Let me talk to the contractor! Thanks for your inputs.

9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I’ll have to say you now know the cause but replacement this guy will not be happy. Repair he won’t be happy, so phrase it cordial!

10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If they were that way before they were put down, they shouldn't have been used. They always say there are culls and to check every board for flaws before you install it. Didn't happen here.

11. kjr

kjr Member

He said he did check the boards before putting it down. The wood in the boxes looks ok.He also doesn't understand why this is happening.
    I also sent the pics to the store where i bought the hardwood and they say it is the installers problem.

12. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

So did you try the magnet that was mentioned above? Those really look like cleats that weren't set deep enough.
    As for what to tell your contractor, You didn't set the cleats deep enough & they are telegraphing through. If he doesn't understand whats going on fill him in. Show him with a magnet. The round earth magnet's are the best. They don't lie.

• Like Like x 2
  13. kjr

kjr Member

Hi everyone,
    Our contractor acknowledged the problem .Thanks for all the inputs.
    He is suggesting to fix the issue by sanding with fine paper and put in wood filler.
    Appreciate your inputs on his suggestion.

14. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

I DON'T SEE ANYTHING THAT SANDPAPER WILL FIX! Sorry Jim, couldn't resist... I see an end joint that can be puttied, which is a reasonable solution, but a few boards that need to be replaced. My 2 cents

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mark Brown

I sure wish I could fix stuff like that with sandpaper and some filler and have clients be happy... I would be a rich man!!

Please don't fall for this... those boards need to be replaced, plain and simple.
    Or hey, if you believe those lies.... ever heard the one about the emperors new clothes?? because I have a coat i could sell ya.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Boy if you were upset enough to make a post about the bumps, wait till you see the 1"x 3" blotches that are going to come from that solution of his. Thats pre finished hardwood. Its not going to look right.

Believe EVERYONE on here with probably somewhere around 200 years of combined experience that what your "contractor" suggest's is a terrible idea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. kjr

kjr Member

HE IS NOT READY TO CHANGE THE BOARDS.

18. kjr

kjr Member

Keep on forgetting not to write in capital.
    The admin doesn't like it. Sorry!!!

19. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Maybe board replacements are not this guys thing? How many boards total are we talking about?

20. kjr

kjr Member

8-10 boards