New hammer for carpet installer

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Ulysses Eldridge, Jun 19, 2019.

Would you buy one?

1. yes

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. maybe

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Ulysses Eldridge

Ulysses Eldridge Pro Member

Hello
    I posted some pictures of the hammer to see what you installers think.

It cuts tack strip, has a magnetic nailset on the handle which can be used as a toe kick nailer, it also creates a gap for your fingers. It also has a reverse nail pull option which holds down the strip as you pry the nail. the magnetic nail set works great for small nails. you can just pop it on the tack strip or swing another hammer for concrete stubbies. I realized I was swinging the hammer very differently when installing tack strip. I use more of a punching motion rather than swinging it in order to avoid hitting the finished trim and hitting the nail as square as possible. (especially for concrete) So I made a hammer to accommodate the way I use it. It speeds up the tack stripping process since you don't need a tack strip cutter.

So what do you guys think?

2013-01-07_18-15-15_45.jpg 2013-01-07_18-16-14_778.jpg 2013-01-11_10-06-29_864.jpg 2013-02-20_17-43-53_607.jpg 2013-02-20_15-21-00_491.jpg 2013-02-20_17-37-06_542.jpg

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I'm thinking, "did this guy just join to sell a tool he makes?" I'm hoping that's not the case because that isn't how it works here. Surely you noticed there's a lot of flooring pros that hang out here and every one of them will tell you none of them get to advertise for free here, not even the ones who have been here a really long time or posted a whole bunch of helpful posts. So, please ease my mind. You posted photos of 4 different hammers 'cause you just like to change things up from one day to the next - sorta like I am with hats. You didn't post 4 hammers because you thought you could get my members to buy some, did you?

Please excuse me if I'm just being paranoid. A guy gets that way after 13 years of fending off all kinds of freeloaders. I'm not saying that's what you are. Maybe you do want to sell product, but you forgot to read the rules you agreed to. Or maybe you just like to change hammers every day like I change my socks. :D

3. Ulysses Eldridge

They are not for sale. I am trying to get the opinion of installers. They are just prototypes. Sorry if I did something wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Very interesting and creative combination. I probably wouldn't use the strip cutter axe for three reasons.... dangerous, hard to get accurate cuts, and possible damage to the floor.

Welcome to TFP

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Ulysses Eldridge

It's not sharp. More of a crushing blow and it doesn't cut all the way through. You snap it.
    I pop it once and press the blade behind the cut and lift the excess piece to snap it. Can also cut outside corners after they are nailed. I wouldn't use it to cut a bunch of small prices but it's great running around a room.

Thank you for the feedback

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Somewhat clever but when you use it for Toekick/offset nailing you then need another hammer. Cost, warranty since you’re taking a hammer to the handle.

Hammers are somewhat personal and when you buy good ones they last forever, so I still have original purchases of a Vaughn and an estwin.

First and foremost it’s main priority and it has to do it better than any other hammer, nail tack into concrete like a Cadillac floats down the road.

7. Ulysses Eldridge

I use a rubber mallet. Every installer has one. But your right. It could. I'm not claiming to replace all those tools. Its kinda like a 5 in 1. (it will work as a screw driver but a screw driver is better) I was thinking it would save money since a tack strip cutter is 45 bucks and toe nailer is around 50 magnetic nail set around 20.
    The best part in my opinion is the gap it creates for your knuckles. Especially when nailing concrete and you must hit the nail perfectly square while missing the trim. That's when it rides like a caddy. I know everyone has their own style. I made these for my style. Also because I often leave the cutter behind and I swing with more of a punching motion so I hit my pinky on the concrete a lot.

Thanks for your feed back.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  8. Mike Antonetti

Could I use the hammer to lean on or will it tip sideways like my proknees sometimes do. I don’t do carpet anymore and rarely put down tack. I’d really have to be in the zone to not hit base, or pre bend a hardened concrete nail prior to the second shot of spalling the concrete. Guess mine needs a laser.

You’ve patented it? I just come up with ideas that I use myself instead of the high cost of the whole process of sales.

Have you presented to Crain, Gundlach or is there another manufacturer who invests in flooring ideas?

9. Ulysses Eldridge

You can floor walk with it in your hand or lean on it. I do have a patent. I have begun talks with Estwing.

10. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Maybe one of our other inventors should chime into this discussion: @JonH I'm sure he has jumped through some of the hoops you have or will come to.

My first boss used a hatchet for a hammer/stair tool/strip cutter. I got weaned on the tool, but never liked it for cutting strip. I used a hatchet for 35 years, but I liked the deep throat Crain strip cutters for tackless. Most of the tackless I put down was 1" and architectural/commercial. 95% of the subfloors are wood here, 4% concrete slab and 1% gypcrete (throw in a smattering of particleboard mobile homes).

11. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Many Commercial guys in California use a 30 oz. Plumb half hatchet to cut and pound the nails tack strip on concrete. Everyone has one these days:
    https://www.amazon.com/Apex-Tool-Gr...ocphy=9031214&hvtargid=pla-493685705988&psc=1

Your tool looks awesome for commercial applications as a "3/4/5 in one" deal. I have a (3) "Downs Bar" that I've used half a dozen to a dozen times in 40 years. I have the magnetic stubby pounder that I use the shit out of. I never really got the hang of hacking the tack strip with the hatchet unless I've been pounding a few thousand feet of strip----------all day for a few smaller jobs in the apprentice years so you get the knack. The nail puller is a bonus if it's really effective.

I'd have to try it but and I'm not sure about it's value to residential carpet guys but I see that selling for $55-75 easy on a site like Tools For Flooring. I'd pay around that if I weren't about to SELL most of my tools and go into semi-retirement. I like it.

12. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Good idea, I wouldn’t use the cutting part of it but it’d be one less tool I would need to lug in my tool box, the toe kick nailer

13. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

That's the short version of what I was seeing. JUST a hammer and Downs Bar is a smart, good deal to take some weight off the box and truck.

14. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

What is the handle made of?

15. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

i'm not liking the curve of the handle, would have to try it to know what its affecting in my sore wrists. What is the weight?

16. Ulysses Eldridge

Handle is rubber.

17. Ulysses Eldridge

I use a 20oz to make it not sure what it weighs with the add ons.

18. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

I might try one, but there would be a huge learning curve. I have the Plumb Incognito posted and I've ground off some of the sharp edges. Been using one for 35 years probably. It's an extension of my arm. I'm pretty damn accurate with it, even cutting strip. About the only time I break out the strip cutters is when I strip stairs.

19. Mike Antonetti

Handle is rubber? Not metal to the head? And coated rubber?

20. Ulysses Eldridge

Steel with rubber wrap.

• Like Like x 1