New Carpet Blossoming?

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by dieselnc, Apr 7, 2013.

1. dieselnc

dieselnc Member

We had carpet installed 10 days ago and I immediately noticed it's not the same face weight as the showroom sample. I called the sales rep and expressed my concern and she asked me to send pictures and would forward to the manufacturer, Masland. Masland said that I need to wait for the carpet to "blossom" before judging the final product. They said it can take up to 60 days to fully blossom and I need to vacuum at least 3x per week to help the process. No one EVER told us about blossoming!

The showroom sales rep came out a few days after the install and agreed that the installed product's weight appears different than the showroom sample. She said she'd follow up with Masland and file a claim.

A few days later, Masland sent out their sales rep and, of course, he did not agree with my concerns. He also admitted he's not a carpet "expert" and the "lab" would make the final determination on quality.

So.... fast forward to yesterday... Masland denied my claim. They said the product is exactly to specs. They also restated I need to wait 60 days for the carpet to blossom and I need to vacuum 3x per week...blah blah blah... I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Carpet: Masland Key West
    Pile Height: .688"
    Style Type: Cut Pile
    Primary Back:Woven Polypropylene
    Dye Method: Beck
    Pattern Repeat: None
    Country of Origin: US
    Fiber: 100% STAINMASTER® Luxerell™ BCF nylon

Questions:

1. Is carpet blossoming a real thing?

2. Can I expect my carpet face weight feel to increase over time?

3. I was told by a friend I can send a sample to ITELINC.com to get full lab report on the carpet (fiber/face weight/density). Has anyone used ITEL and is it something I should consider?

I'll add pictures in new post...

Thanks
    Cal

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Carpet sill blossom. You got to figure when it was rolled up-very tightly I might and- it could be warm from the manufacturing process. Give it the time and if still a problem then refile the claim.
    Did they give you any specifics on the type of vacuum to use? Most times it is a vacuum that uses suction only.

:old:

Daris

3. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

Key West is the thinnest weight in a three weight style, Key West, Miami and then Oceanside . Give it time for moisture and air to get to it. They do crush down to nothing alot and look flat. I understand your concern. I can't see them pulling something on you seeing as it's the entry weight you purchased. Do they have the wrapping tag or mill invoice with the correct order. They should be able to provide this.
    It's a nice carpet Imo with a nice finish. Stainmaster has a thirty day guarantee so you're covered, minus freight and installation.

4. dieselnc

dieselnc Member

Thanks for the replies.

My biggest issue is the showroom sample clearly has a "heavier" feel than what we have installed. The carpet has been down almost 2 weeks and I don't see much of a change in face weight - apparently the "blossoming" is supposed to help that. I asked for supporting documentation but haven't seen anything yet. I'll try to post pictures today.

What is the Stainmaster guarantee? I asked the sales rep if I had any other options and they said no.

As for vacuum... I called Masland and they said it should be fine to use our Dyson Animal because the height is adjustable. The tech rep said to test a sample of carpet to be sure. I'm a little surprised that we didn't get a definitive "yes" or "no" but what can you do...

5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It is almost impossible to tell if a carpet is "heavier" or "lighter" by the feel of the hand. The only definitive method it to have the product laboratory tested.

Professional Testing Labs - Testing for flooring and textile materials

These folks do an excellent job of it. They do charge, but if it concerns you that much, it will be worth it.

As for the vacuum, no mfg is going to give a "yes--no answer"! Why, because they are not there to control how YOU set and use the vacuum. For example, if they say a Dyson is OK.....you may set it right down to the floor, strip the fibers out , and then say "they said it was OK to use a Dyson" when in reality they said it was OK to use a "properly adjusted" Dyson.

Hopefully you can appreciate the difference. And yes it is an inconvenience, but we ALL have to take responsibility for things we do in life.

Stainmaster guarantee: http://www.stainmaster.com/page/about-us/stainmaster-flooring-centers/satisfaction

6. ortiz34

The 90 day is only good at true Stainmaster flooring center. 60 for showcase dealer, 30 for all others I believe. Let me look at the back of my samples in a bit.

7. dieselnc

dieselnc Member

It turns out we got the wrong product! Masland is willing to replace.

We're deciding between 3 products:

1. New Hope - Stainmaster Luxerell. We're a little concerned about the textured look. It might look 'dated' in a few years.

2. Monet - Stainmaster Tactesse. Nice carpet but don't know about tactesse. How does it compare to Luxerell?

3. Flexstone - Stainmaster Luxerell. Contains multi-colored yarns which is interesting but not sure it's worth the upgrade.

8. ortiz34

I like fleckstone . New Hope is definitely nice and not trendy. Big change from key west huh? What happened?
    Very happy to hear Masland is taking care of your problem. They are one of the best
    Let us know how you make out

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  9. dieselnc

dieselnc Member

We're also considering Americana.

Is there a big difference in durability between Tactesse and Luxerell?

Does the loop/uncut feature of New Hope add to its durability?

10. dieselnc

dieselnc Member

1 more question. The sales rep told us it can be difficult to hide seams of cut and loop styles like New Hope, given its 'textured' look.

Product: Masland Carpets & Rugs - New Hope

Should we be concerned about seams showing?

11. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I know they say there is no pattern to it but if you look at the sample it looks like there is a diagonal line. If the line are matched up I wouldn't think there would be much of a problem. But REMEMBER the is not such thing as an invisible seam. But it should show nio more than a fine line if done correctly.

:old:

Daris

12. abtray

abtray New Member

Masland Key West

Regarding dieselnc's problem in getting a different carpet (Masland Key West) than the sample in the showroom, we have the same problem. We have Key West that is different than the sample we were shown. After begging for help from the place we purchased the carpet for months, they contacted Masland who denied the claim. After independent testing, we finally have a low $$ offer from Masland, about 20% of our total purchase price. We do not want the substandard carpet. We want replacement carpet. Did dieselnc work directly with Masland or with your seller? Any help from anyone on how to handle this would be appreciated

13. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

We've done miles of that carpet here, it seams up good if, like said, you watch the diagonal.