1. Just wanted to ask if anyone is attending Neocon at the Mart in Chicago next week?

I'll be there on Monday 6/12. If anyone would like to put a face with a name just shoot me a PM and I'll try to meet up as time allows.

It's not nearly the flooring show that Surfaces or Coverings are but it is a good place to see the newest commercial product lunches from most of the major players in the industry.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Interesting, I thought it was like comic con.

Design innovations,

Here's one thought, change the name!
    NeoCon is like oh, it's for those people, doesn't feel inclusive.

I assume the Con is for Convention? The Neo is for "newly created"?

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

After 49 years??? I wouldn't think so. :ohno:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Mike Antonetti

Dam, typed a bunch on Tuesday but see I never posted it.

They should practice what they preach.

I went to an inside car show in the 80's not sure if it was McCormick place? Few other sites in Chicago, got a thick Sicilian pizza there in one of the must go restaurants about 4 years ago.

What kind of building is it where there's something going on on 19th floor?

5. For Neocon there are really only about 4 floors that are active for the show. Several companies such as Mannington, Mohawk, Shaw, Patcraft have permanent showrooms located at the Mart. Flooring used to be one of the dominant sectors of the show but today it's probably only about 1/4 of the show space. The show has become much more oriented around furniture, lighting, & technology such as electronic white boards. Wallcoverings and fabrics are also a major part of the show. Needless to say I have very little interest in anything outside of flooring with one exception, I do look at color trends in furnishing and fabrics. These change much more quickly than flooring and can provide insight into what the next wave of flooring designs will most likely be. Many designers attend just to see these trends and get inspiration for their upcoming projects.

The one dreaded thing is getting to the different floors. You have elbow to elbow people and a very small amount of elevators. The wait for an elevator can be 20-30 minutes at peak times. The show is scattered between the 3rd, 7th, 10th and 11th floor. Getting to the 3rd floor is not too bad, but most of the flooring is on the 7th & 10th floor. The stairwells are very crowded with people, very steep and very hot. Going from the 7th to the 10th via stairs is quite a climb and you just about have to go sit down and have something to drink once you get there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Mike Antonetti

My brother a few years ago said a retailer told him grey was "coming back" I said you're crazy as hell, I like whitewash/weathered but that's where it ends. Grey carpet when I was doing sales at Lowes I could only find a couple swatches out of hundreds.

The shabby chic I like, coastal, etc. is hard to find, it's light, airy, upbeat, the greys go with that as well.

Mannington always had way better design in Residential sheet vinyls in the 90's than other manufacturers, I don't think I've really looked at sheet vinyl in 10 or 15 years. Saw they sold their vct line to Armstrong, wonder what their focus is on.

7. Just like everybody else - LVT. Since the purchase of Amtico they've been going nuts expanding and upgrading the two plants in Georgia. With the exception of the Adura Max and Max Prime rigid core products - being made in China for now, most of the LVT product is coming out of the plant in Georgia.

VCT was a very small part of Mannington's overall commercial business and had been in decline, losing market share to LVT. VCT is such a commodity that it's not very profitable for anyone in the industry. Armstrong saw an opportunity to eliminate a competitor and gain share and so they made the offer and it was accepted. This leaves Armstrong and Azrock/Tarkett as the only two domesticate manufacturers of VCT. Interestingly within two weeks of the announcement Armstrong instituted a price increase on VCT. :)

8. Mike Antonetti

Over the years I've seen Armstrong increase prices a thousand times, well maybe not me persinnslyy, but retailers must have.

Good info, thanks CFR

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. Mike Antonetti

Neocon video. Saw the building at beginning. At timeframe 6:38 someone walked by in background, seemed important for on of Keith's assisants, very funny, now Keith is a Tommy Lee Jones character to me.

Videos | Floor Trends

10. Mike Antonetti

Chuck, did you see Arianna Huffingtons speech? I saw some interviews of her on TV, but in person you get the feel of passion. Plus, the topic, Stress, helpful to many.

11. No, I had to be in a meeting while that was going on and didn't get a chance to see any of the speakers.

12. Mike Antonetti

Dam Scheduling Conflicts!

13. It's funny, but as a distributor, when we attend trade shows where dealers are attending we're usually more in the "vendor" roll. For example when I go to surfaces. I usually spend at least 1/2 -3/4 of the first day standing in the Mannington booth meeting my customers who are attending the show. The rest of the time I'm pretty much in meetings with our other vendor partners either making purchasing decisions about the upcoming year or reviewing the past sales year to see what we can do to grow business and establish sales goals for the upcoming year with them. The only time I actually get to really see what is going on at the show and view other booths is when I'm going from one meeting to the next, usually only an hour or two at best. But, that is the time I enjoy the most. :)

Neocon is a bit different because I really only have two or three vendors there. I still end up spending most of my time between Mannington and Johnsonite, but I do get to have a little more free time at the end of the day to view the rest of the flooring vendors that are there. Although, there are fewer and fewer every year due to the consolidation of Manufacturers in the industry and just less vendors who choose to show there due to the high costs of booth space.

I enjoy them and hate them at the same time. I love to see all the new stuff but I hate just standing all day. Kills my knees and back. Neocon is also extremely close quarters and is almost always hot and humid in the building so I literally just stand and sweat all day.

14. j248

j248 Pro Member

I like surfaces and Domotex best.