Need pro to advise and/or strip river rock pool deck in So. CA

Discussion in 'Looking For a Flooring Professional or Product' started by Mark W, Jan 13, 2019 at 12:21 PM.

1. Mark W

Mark W Member

Thanks for the opportunity to join this group.

We live in the San Diego area and have a river rock pool deck that we would like to get rid of.
    Recently I saw a video with a motorized stripper that took out the river rock faster and quieter than jack hammering/chiseling.

My question is does anyone know of someone in the greater San Diego area that has the ability to remove river rock with a motorized stripper?

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Picture? I was contacted a few times about river rock removal. A flex blade with a 11316 would work. Why the noise concern? The ride ins are for flatwork.

Contact a floor removal company in your area. There are companies diversifying to demo anything.

3. Mark W

Mark W Member

Hi Mike. Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate your suggestion. As an fyi, I have attached a pic of the area

Attached Files:

4. Mike Antonetti

Ok, pretty flat. As long as there’s access for a ride on machine meaning solid flat surface to access should be no problem. Other day we needed to get inside a home walkway was floating Travertine stone over sand bed. Had to put plywood and ramps to avoid cracking.

3000lb machine, there’s other smaller ones.

Why don’t you just go over it with pavers. I dislike river rock in most circumstances. It’s kind of rare here but in the 90’s a lot of Lanai’s were done with it. Not many people recoated with epoxy to maintain.

Attached Files:

5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It does look nice, what are you replacing it with?

6. Mark W

Mark W Member

I think we could navigate around the side of the house to gain access.
    Concern with pavers is the additional height that the river rock adds.

We just purchased the house and the previous owner really did not maintain the product so there is a lot of pitting and loose stone. But the real reason is.....my wife hates it!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

Bravo to her! It’s offputting at the home I saw it at. Ride on and some detail 11316’s with a flat blade, then not sure about the tile around pool detail. San Diego has the navy base, plenty of equipment and companies in that area. A workhorse flooring company will have contacts for that service. I think a smaller ride on would work like a National 5700.

8. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I'll come take it out with a pry bar if you'll put me up & let me enjoy the pool. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mark W

Mark W Member

Thanks. I started calling around to suppliers of the equipment to see if they had customers in my area. Waiting to hear back

10. Mike Antonetti

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mark W

Mark W Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mike Antonetti

Ran across a photo I took of it in a nearby driveway. If it’s not maintained by recoating with clear epoxy then it’s done for.

With the removal I was asked to do the debris would’ve went in my extra driveway that’s sandy.

Attached Files:

13. Mark W

Mark W Member

That is nasty looking. I am still working on finding someone for our job.

• Like Like x 1