Need Makita Cordless Tool Battery

Discussion in 'Flooring Products, Tools & Supplies on EBAY' started by Jim McClain, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

My Makita cordless driver's battery won't charge anymore. I put it on the charger and it looks like it's charging for about a minute, then I get the battery broken indicators. I have 2 batteries and the other one charges just fine, so I know it's not the charger.

These batteries ain't cheap. Here's a pair for $43.50: 2 X 18V 4.0Ah 18 Volt Lithium Ion Battery LXT For Makita BL1840 BL1815 Pack New | eBay But at the moment, I only need one. I'm not sure I should spend extra for 2 batteries, although the good battery I have is the same age as the one that went bad, so it might take a crap on me soon too.

If I get only one battery, it's about 35 bucks. Less than 10 dollars more I'd get 2, but that's still a chunk of change for me. I haven't been doing a lot with my power tools lately. That could change, I s'pose. I have plenty of projects to do, but have been procrastinating.

The tools (I have a drill and a screw/nut driver) are 4 or 5 years old. I've used them a lot over the years, especially for driving screws - I don't have enough energy to swing a hammer anymore. I really like the tools, but in my days installing (11 years ago), it was almost better to replace a cordless tool than just the batteries. Not sure that really applies to my Makita LXFD01 and 74LJ though. I have replaced batteries before and had to replace the charger once (I left it out in the rain), but the tools have held up well. They are kinda old now, though. Or are they?

Not sure what to do.
  2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I used to buy all my cordless stuff from Sears and the original battery lasted about 4 years. Then all of a sudden they lasted a year or less. I switched to Dewalt drills and haven't looked back, the 20 volt. I ended up somehow throwing my charger and a battery away and when the Dewalt put their drill on sale I bought it. Now I have 2 drills, 3 batteries, and one charger.
    Doesn't HD have a cordless drill or other accessories that you register the tools and they are guaranteed forever. Rided or the Ryobi. Might be worth looking into.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

They are not OEM, but knock offs. I had an 18 volt Makita set back when I was templating granite countertops. Battery back then was 90 each, 2nd generation of metals, not LI.

Ridgid does have 3 year warranty on battery purchased separate, lifetime with the combo kits.

The tools are somewhat limited being there are many more choices of tools with Ryobi. I just bought 4 amp hour for 100$ ridgid batteries, using them for the more power needed tools, then the 2 amp batteries for drill, impact driver for the lighter weight.

If you don't use them much then I'd replace the batteries. Probably the two pack, one can charge while other two are in use.

I'd probably like to get some kind of swap tool program as I have some ridgid stuff that doubles up, sold a saw and gave away a reciprocating one. Ridgid is good enough to me to end up buying a new set of combo and registering lifetime again, I got two new batteries a time back but didn't re register. Recently bought the driveway blower and registered it but got an email saying there was a problem, I told em to stick it, they ain't worth my time filling the form out again. Then when I went to look up my stuff it may have been added. I got batteries at local tool repair place, they swapped out my old battery but couldn't find the charger on there and replaced an 18 volt light.

I have an electric compound miter saw, a tile saw registered lifetime, anything I rely on I'll buy ridgid just for the warranty.
  4. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

I have just started replacing some items lost in our garage fire. I picked up a Milwaukee Fuel weed eater and leaf blower.
    They came with a rapid charger and the 18 volt 9 amp hour battery.
    Looking to pick up some more of the Fuel line tools when the smoke clears
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

I bought some aftermarket batteries for my DeWalt tools and I've been totally happy with them.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mike Antonetti

Did you decide yet Jim?

Got this message today, kind of odd to get equipment in this situation, but you never know.

Saw this too.

Attached Files:

7. Jim McClain

Only that I need to wait. The recent server upgrade and forum software expenses has left things a little tight. My vehicle registration is due next month too, so I just can't do it right now. I have one good battery, so when it gets low, it's time to take a break while it charges.
  8. Mike Antonetti

If I can send Lithium Ion batteries through USPS I'll send you this set I just got, 3 batteries, charger,Drill,impact screwgun. It's the impact driver that Kman told me about few years ago that's a world of difference putting a screw in.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Jim McClain

Wow, that's pretty generous. Thank you.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mike Antonetti

You help me, so I help you.
    • Like Like x 1