Need help with tile

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by Hyoung223, May 12, 2019.

1. Hyoung223

Hyoung223 Member

Never ran into this problem house was originally a mobile home but has had sections added on. Putting tile floor down and half the floor is concrete the other half is wood. How do I got about installing concrete board on wood and getting the concrete level with it? Resurface concrete? Or install concrete board on concrete? Concrete board is 1/2 inch thick leaving me with a 1/2 drop on concrete side

2. I would probably ramp it 6 or 8 ft. Not sure what tile you’re working with or what you’ve told the homeowner you were doing. And a pic of situation does so much more than just words.

3. Hyoung223

Hyoung223 Member

It's my grandparents home. I'll try to get some pics. How would I ramp it?

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

Use ditra mat instead of concrete board.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hyoung223

Hyoung223 Member

Definitely out of the budget. Would love to use it though. Any other options?

6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

You sure you don’t wanna just throw a floating floor in there. You can get an acceptable LVT for maybe $3/ sq ft and it will handle the seasonal movement.

7. Hyoung223

Hyoung223 Member

We just pulled up the vinyl tile that was already there. It is my grandma's house and she's dead set on this porcelain tile. Is there any way to fasten the concrete board to the concrete? Really starting to look like that may be my only option.

8. So both wood substrate and slab are currently even height?

Cement board just creates a better bond. If the wood substrate is not sufficient to support tile, then it may need to be thicker. Maybe Eco Prim Grip by Mapei or some other manufacturers product for the wood.

Ramping situations are done by screeding floor patch with a straightedge to the desired length.

9. Hyoung223

Hyoung223 Member

Yes the are relatively even. As they sit.

All in all what would be my best bet longevity wise? The amount of work doesn't matter to me. I'm 21 and dont mind the work. My joints arent hurting (yet).

10. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If the wood has sufficient strength and no deflection I would Prime both the wood and concrete with an acrylic primer and use a better grade of thinset.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

Could just put a transition strip between the two.