Need help with choosing carpet!

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Rtracy, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Rtracy

Rtracy New Member

We are looking at replacing the carpet in all of our bedrooms, which are upstairs. I want something that will hold up to pets and kids. I also want something that feels plush, and will be good for resale value in the future. We will probably be in our house for another 5-7 years. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Lee's Titanium Series carpet. I really do not have any experience buying carpet, and could use some advice. Here's a picture of what I'm looking at.

Attached Files:

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Looks like you found it. :yesss:

3. Rtracy

Rtracy New Member

Jim, do you have experience with this carpet? My hesitation is that it doesn't feel as plush as some I've tried. The sales person I talked to suggested it, and said if I use a memory foam padding, it would feel plush. He also suggested it, because he said some vacuum cleaners don't do as good of a job with the thicker carpets. What are your thoughts on that?

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I sold and installed carpet (and other flooring) for 35 years. You're providing no comparison information, so I can't tell you the difference between any of the carpet you've looked at.

"Feel" how? If you are going by what it feels like on your hands, that is a good determining factor... if you walk on your hands. Are the other carpets also nylon? Priced comparably? You seem to like this one, that's why it's the only one you posted a photo of. If you like it, buy it. It's a good carpet.

I'm not a fan of memory foam cushions, but that's not because they aren't good pads. I just don't care for the way they feel when I walk on them. I prefer a firmer pad, like a 7/16" 8# rebond. Ask the dealer if you can walk on a similar carpet and different cushions large enough for you to take several steps. A piece of pad under that sample you photoed will not give you an accurate feel.

Don't over-think this. Keep it simple.

5. Rtracy

Rtracy New Member

Jim, you are probably right about me overthinking this. We have not purchased carpet in 18 years, so I'm trying to do some research. I have looked at two other carpets, at another store. They are pictured below. The True Comfort one is about $1 more per square foot than the Treasured Moment. Both of these are more expensive than the Lees Titanium Series, by $1.50 on the Treasured Moment and $2.50 on the True Comfort. I will take your advice and try walking on the memory foam. Thanks for any advice!

Attached Files: