Need help with carpet search

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Chem103, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Chem103

Chem103 Active Member

I now hate looking for carpet more than shopping for a new car. OMG. I have been to five different stores this week and heard so many different things. So...I have some questions I hope some of you can answer.
    1. Is 6.6 nylon really that much better than anso 6 nylon? I am trying to decide if Shaw anso nylon is just as good as stainmaster active family.
    2. I want a carpet that has enough density that I can't feel the backing easily when I put my fingers in. I have samples that are 2400 density and 53 oz face weight from Shaw that are supposed to be "top of the line" and I can easily feel the backing. What kind of density will I need to avoid that?
    3. I know that warranties require steam cleaning at least every 18 months. I have been told that with either r2x or stainmaster protectants that after three cleanings, all the protectant will essentially be gone. The warranties also state something like you can't put any foreign agents on the carpet. So does that mean you can't have scotchgard sprayed on when you get the steam cleaning done??

I have never been so frustrated with finding the specs on carpet. This forum and other sites have already been so helpful, but I still don't feel ready to make any kind of decision. I am looking at 1500 sq ft so this is going to be a lot of money for me. Any help would be appreciated.

2. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Others will know more than me I'm sure, but -

6,6 nylon is tougher, more heat resistant, and is a great choice. That said, Anso is just Shaw's branding of type 6 nylon, and it's a great product. You might also find more color and softness options from Shaw. Here is a little blurb that explains the differences.

Depending on the construction and style of a given piece of carpet - you can have super heavy face weight and still feel the backing.

r2x isn't topically applied, it's added to the fibers while they're still liquid (I believe) so Shaw's claim is that it doesn't wash off.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Chem103

Chem103 Active Member

Thanks. I think I have decided on a tuftex carpet that is part of the Stainmaster active family line. It is made of Luxerell BCF nylon. I believe I am correct that it is 6.6 nylon and obviously has stainmaster protection. It has a density of 3063, pile height of .63, 7.7 twist and face weight of 54 oz, so I am hoping this will be durable enough. Running 5.19 sq ft installed.

One last question. The carpet dealer only offers one option for pad- a Spillgard 1/2 inch 8 lb pad. Is it possible 1/2 inch is too thick or should it be OK?

4. 3batboys

3batboys New Member

I'm wondering if you have been happy with your Luxerell BCF nylon carpet. Thinking of making the Tuftex Europa version into a rug. Thanks for any help!

5. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

CRI recomends 7/16 but in the same sentence or should I say breath out the side of their mouth says 1/2 is acceptable. I got with the 7/16 but under an area rug I would say 3/8.
    If it is a rug you want to cut the pad back away from the edge at least an inch to inch and half for it to lay over so you don't trip on the dge.

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SRWill

SRWill Pro Member

This is correct. R2X is essentially embedded in the fiber and is also utilized to close/fill the dye sites in their piece dyed products. Other brands use a topical treatment such as Scotchgard in their manufacturing and has been known to wash off when using certain surfactants. Many of which are found in consumer-use carpet shampoo. Professional hot water extraction carpet cleaning methods are typically less aggressive on these factory-applied stain protectors.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Roysells

Roysells Member

Half inch pad can create an effect that makes the carpet look like it dives down to get under the baseboard but it still is a very good pad i would see if he has a 7/16 8lbs but you could go with 1/2 inch