need help, second go around with carpet

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by sbooth21, Mar 3, 2017.

1. sbooth21

sbooth21 Active Member

Hey guys,

So I am getting ready to replace my berber carpet. I had the berber installed 3 years ago. The wrong color was installed and I got a huge discount on it so I decided to keep it for awhile, but the staining is finally starting to get on my nerves.

I currently have carpet in my formal living room, stairs, one hallway, and two bedrooms. The rest of my house is wood and travertine. Each room with carpet is outlined with hardwood. I originally chose berber because I am super anal and did not want foot tracks. However, because the rooms with carpert have wood outline the berber is fraying really bad where it is tucked into the wood. Because of this I would like to go away from berber this go around.

I have two dogs, one police k9 who is the house a lot but trained and doesnt soil inside. The wife has a devil ankle bitter that pee's once and awhile, and she looooves peeing on the carpet. I also have a 4 year old. We are a shoes off in the house family.

I would like a carpet that wont fray when tucked into the wood border, super stain resistant, and hides foot tracks like berber (I relaize I may need to be flexible on this).

I currently have a sample of the mohawk smartstrand frieze carpet that I lilke, but I read that the smartstrand matts pretty bad when compared to Nylon.

Any help would be great. Im losing my mind over all the different types of fiber, styles of carpet etc.

2. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

If the installer seals the edges and lets them dry before tucking to the wood border, you should be ' Frayed Free ' and could purchase
    another Berber ( Loop pile carpet ) Just be willing to pay appx. 3.00 per foot extra for that special service.

Another option for hiding foot traffic and stains, would be a combination of both Cut Pile and Loop Pile yarns. Choose a Multi-color Nylon with some texture and pattern, because this styling, along with 3 diff. colors will really help disguise soiling and stains.

Hope this helps and try to have fun with your purchase.

3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Even without sealing edges, the berber shouldn't fray if tucked properly next to the wood. I'm guess the tackstrip is too far away from the wood and it's allowing the carpet to untuck and show the cut edge.
  4. sbooth21

sbooth21 Active Member

Hmm I'll have to ask them about installing it that way. What exactly is a combination of a cut pile and loop pile, and what do you mean by texture? Sorry for all the questions.
  5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

6. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

I'll throw in the obligatory note that any carpet will prefer shoes to feet.
    This is because of body oils and sweat which will adhere to the carpet, even through socks, and are nearly impossible to remove.
    Obviously your home is yours to live in, I'm not saying you're doing it wrong, just pointing this out.
  7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Tile tucked should have a bead of latex placed in gully prior to tucking carpet. Has to be done cautiously when tucking to prevent getting on fibers. Removing carpet I've noticed other installers were doing this more often than not to my skeptical surprise.
  8. sbooth21

sbooth21 Active Member

Here's pics of what I'm workin with and the fraying

Attached Files:

9. Mike Sliwinski

How about sealing the edge not in the gully and here's the reason why !

Have you ever noticed, with today's products, tucking to
    open areas, like wood borders, actually weakens the carpet edge ?
    Now it's more susceptible to fraying. Applying glue into the gully helps, but IMHO........ is not enough.

If a product has poor lamination, it needs latex or hot glue before tucking. Let the adhesive dry, strengthening the edge and backing material, because tucking into a tight gully is a stressful task.

10. Mike Sliwinski

Actually ! that installation looks GR8T !! :yesss: But I do respect your opinion on quality and it could probably have been make slightly better,
    Maybe ?

11. sbooth21

sbooth21 Active Member

I trim it monthly with scissors and a lighter :). A cut loop or a frieze style would have no fraying correct?
  12. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

To me that is a simple fix. Seam sealer ith a basketball needle on the bottle tip and lay a bead of sealer in the gully between carpet edge and wood. Problem solved. Find an installer that is capable and you are good to go. Unless of coarse you still want to change the carpet.

13. Mike Sliwinski

Sorry to hear that, I take back my compliment :eek:

The problem with ' Berber '(loop pile ) carpets is two fold.

#1 > In the length, the material has continuous rows of yarns, that
    can 'Zipper' away from the foundation. An exception to this is
    'Crossover weave Berbers ' where every other yarn or so
    crosses over, creating more resistance or what is called ' Tuft
    Bind ' so it has less tendency to ' Zipper '........Now, when the
    installers fit to open areas, like wood borders, if no glue / sealer
    is used to protect it, those yarns work themselves
    out from the tucked in gully. :mad:

#2 > In the Width, when the carpet is fitted to the wood, the
    loops may get cut, causing them to 'Fray' . The best method
    to handle this is to trim the frayed yarn off at the base or
    bottom of the yarn. Now there is no yarn to fray out from
    under the tucked gully. A latex or hot glue should also be
    applied on this edge before tucking.......IMHO

So to answer your question, does cut/loop piles and Frieze have no fraying issues ?.............No ! all carpets can loose yarns, or fray at cut edges, just not so problamatic as Large Looped Berbers, the one you currently have.

As a side note, there are specialty backings that improve tuft bind substantially. One example would be ' Hot Melt Backings ' but I haven't seen much of them anymore, they probably still exist.

Story Time (sorry)

Once upon an install, Mikey, the installer had to install a medium sized loop pile action back, with poor lamination of secondary backing, hence ! poor tuft bind, onto a bull-nose step with birdcage :eek:.......The only way, all those cuts around spindles would look good is by strengthening the tuft bind with hot glue and so I did, and got paid, and it looked great, ......The End !

Best of luck