Need Help Choosing Marmoleum Vendord/Install

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by NHS, Dec 24, 2016.

1. NHS

NHS Member

Hi. Happy Holidays. Here's the story: I have 2 vendors to choose for my purchase and install of Marmoleum sheet. I called the 2nd one because I got nervous about what #1 didn't talk to me about during our initial meetings. #2 had done other carpet/vinyl work for us. Both now think they have the job because I got nervous. I have to choose. Need help in doing so.

They are both around the same price. Since my receipt of the initial bid each vendor had to change either a transition (abutting smooth/level) price or the sheet price (needed more).

Vendor #2 has been exasperated with me for all the back and forth because I said I was in a hurry (we are want install in Jan). Vendor #1 has been fine. Both vendors have long time marmo installers (neither are cert by farbo) but walked me thru their process (had my farbo sheet handy). Vendor 1 installed our bathroom floor a few years a go (vinyl tile) and we weren't thrilled with it but they came back quickly and fixed it.

What do I say? What do I do? Never been in this sitch before and I feel like a completely bad purchaser. :ohno:Thank you very much for your help.

2. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It would depend what was wrong when he laid the tiles in your bathroom, Could you explain a little bit further?
    Marmo is a lot harder to lay than most vinyl products.
    Here in New Zealand most layers will not touch Marmo due to the difficulty in laying as a lot of layers will not make a pattern which in most cases you need for Marmo
    Does this answer your question?

3. Rob Malone

Rob Malone Pro Member

One of the main things I look for is vendors who fix their mistakes. We all have times when we screw up but the real test is vendors who will fix their mistakes.

So just based on the little bit posted here I lean toward vendor #1 because they were willing to fix their mistake.

4. NHS

NHS Member

Respose to Rob Malone and John Scanlon

Not quite sure how to navigate these pages. Hope this gets to both of you.

Thanks so much. I would normally as well - in fact they came back 2x. The installer left glue all over the place - came back to clean that up; then 6 months later the seams were opening up (tiles that sit under toilet) and the owner came back and fixed that (although I asked him to also put a little of the stuff he used along the tub/tile he was kinda messy). Did not grout the tiles as was told really didn't need to and I have huge tile/grout on walls and ceilng, but as I've worked with both of them now, the bigger job I had was with Vendor #2 (they had to replace our carpet twice due to flooding) and the second time the seaming in one or 2 spots wasn't great in our family room (carpet). Husband didn't want to bother with them coming to fix. But they didn't charge us the increased sales price either (18 moths after first install) So I stand at a stand off.

I guess the jobs would be comparable but I stupidly because I was so excited (don't let me make the decision to buy a house or a car) I told each of them I would pay next week. Meaning they each got the job! So I guess it's flip a coin time cause 3 nights sleeping on it hasn't created a decision. So, what the heck do I say to the one who didn't get the job? I accidentally burned the house down? I hate raising/dashing hopes. Thanks for your help.

5. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Seems like you should seriously reconsider hiring EITHER of these shops. You weren't happy with either finished project and you're booking more work? I don't get it. Are there no other legit operators? I live in an area flush with flooring stores. Most metropolitan areas of a few hundred thousand to millions of people will have incredible competition for your dollar which should allow you to discriminate against sloppy workmanship and not feel STUCK dealing with 2nd rate quality.

As far as how to cancel a contractor, this isn't personal. You call them and say I've changed my mind and I need more time------I'll call you when I'm ready. Or tell them straight out you changed you mind and found someone else. Personally I would tell them EXACTLY why I wasn't using their services on a subsequent project.

How else will they learn that they suck?

6. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Not knowing what your job is and what is involved I personally I would not be upset not laying the Marmo even though we charge more for laying Marmo than normal vinyls as I could make more money with less grief doing the normal vinyls
    I actually laid just about a full roll of Marmo about a month ago in a house and I joked with another layer that I would also give him a $100 extra for him to lay the job but he still didn't want to know :mad:
    I am not on an hourly rate so the more we can lay in a day is better for me money wise

7. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Incognito nailed it on the button.

Normally Rob Malone would have a valid point but, as I've seen in the past 5 years, shops around my local are soooo hurting for installers, yet they won't raise their rates, that they will send out a shitty installer just so they can get your job done today. When you call with a problem, they are johnny on the spot to fix it and somehow we think that is good customer service??? Bullshit. Mistakes happen because we are all human. Leaving glue on the wall is just sloppy. Sending out crappy installers is just wrong. What, the installer didn't have a wet rag to clean up behind himself? Pretty sure you don't want that guy installing your lino.

On a side note: I've replaced a few Home Depot and Lowes jobs gone south and every time the customers say "I would have gladly waited if I knew this was going to happen". Yet when the customer is told that they will have to wait until X for their install, they freak out and threaten to take their business somewhere else or want to talk to the manager or... As much as I want to get mad at the sales people for being this way, I can't. They are simply responding to what the customer wants. Nobody will admit that they want to be lied to but people will believe the dumbest shit and that just boggles the human mind and leaves me with no other choice but to believe that people want to be lied to.

Maybe you need option 3. Contact Forbo and get the names of some certified installers in your area. Call them up and find out who they work for. You need not have any bad feelings for dumping both shops and choosing option 3. You can tell them "It's nothing personal, It's just business".