Need help choosing hand grinder and a dust shroud for floor prep

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by dosstx, Apr 26, 2016.

1. dosstx

dosstx Member

I am going to purchase a 13amp 7" hand grinder soon but also need to get a dust shroud for it. I am having a difficult time figuring out how to connect my 1 1/4" diameter shop vac hose to the shroud as I think this hose may be smaller than what is normally used for grinding?

Can someone suggest me a 7" 13amp grinder to use for a concrete basement floor and a dust shroud that would go with my shop vac hose? Maybe there are adapters or other fittings that could help?

Thanks!

P.S> Already have the cup wheel

2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

You're a homeowner? One time use? Which wheel you have, the double row dewalt? I've seen some cheap shrouds, dust buddie?

1-1/4" is for 4" grinders, probably a 140 cfm vacuum. 2" is for anything professional that is going to throw out large quantities of dust.

4. dosstx

dosstx Member

I'm a homeowner working on prepping my basement floor for carpet tiles and maybe broadloom carpet here and there.

One time use, but can I use it on a deck to remove paint ?

I currently have this cup wheel from Home Depot (not yet opened, can still return if it suggested otherwise): RIDGID 7 in. Blue 12-Segment Turbo Cup Grinding Wheel-HD-TAW7012L1 - The Home Depot

This is the shop vac I have: Shop Shop-Vac 6-Gallon 3-Peak HP Shop Vacuum at Lowes.com

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

5. Aaron Risley

Aaron Risley Pro Member

you'll want some hepa filtration at some point in your dust collection... if this is a basement you'll be having dust problems for the next year. Ask the contractor who did some saw cutting in my basement without dust containment, I mean me, oops...

grinder and diamond cup wheel with dust collector, find a contractor supply store near you, they will have the best products and they wont be junk. Even if one time use, you want the best for concrete grinding. Sell it on craigslist when your done if your worried about price.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

There is a method for floor prep. You say carpet tiles/stretch in? Ok we know what end result needs to be or should be. So what would I be looking at if I appeared in your basement? Why do you need to grind?

I probably would suggest you seek a rental supply, maybe Home Depots rental or local yocal. What kept me afloat for 2 years prior to purchasing 5k $ vacuums was the ridgid 16 gallon and use drywall/fine particulate bags. The filters will soak up dust and clog, the dust goes in bag keeping clean( if the bag doesn't bust) many nights spent cleaning upgraded filters.

My brother and I ground at least 600lbs of thinset and unflat slab today. Went very well.

Attached Files:

7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Our rental supply store has a floor grinding trailer full of the tools for such a production. Maybe you can find one in your area.

8. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

This is definately a project for RENTAL equipment.

You can't afford to buy good, safe equipment for one time use and you can't afford to go cheap on any aspect of the dust control. I doubt you have any idea the shit storm of dust these things blow up. Leave the Micky Mouse tools on the shelf or in the garage and go fetch the real deal.

9. Aaron Risley

Aaron Risley Pro Member

So elequently stated, but true... one day rental should be no more the a couple hundred, which wouldn't even buy the appropriate grinder for this job.