Need help choosing dust shroud

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Jonathan Garcia, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Jonathan Garcia

Jonathan Garcia Pro Member

Hey guys, need help choosing a dust shroud. I have a Metabo w24-230 7 inch grinder, the shroud that I have is giving up and need a new one. I have been looking at the cdclarue dust grabber shroud, but the few reviews ive seen aren't great. Has anyone used the dust grabber or suggest a different shroud? any help is appreciated.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

They all seem like junk, what's your use, grinding humps? I have a used dustgrabber on the shelf, with a dewalt collar. I use DustRam shrouds but they only sell to DustRam Contractors, I have the older model and the price I think is over 1k$, not sure.

What vacuum you using? Problem with dustgrabber is that the diamond blade eats the shroud, Not very smart unless you like to continually buy parts from them. I ordered 5 pins today for my CDC Larue vacuum, 10$ each, 20$ shipping due to their engineering flaws.

3. Jonathan Garcia

I use it to grind humps, and also for the occasional thin set removal. I have 2 pulse bac 550 models, depending on the amount of dust I use one or both together with a y connector.
    1k for the dustram shroud?

4. Mike Antonetti

Could be more, was a few years ago. Not many shroud choices out there, what have you seen that's not good about the dustgrabber?

I wouldn't consider the 4" dustgrabber whatsoever, but the 7 is almost the best one available.

Here's the dustgrabber with the skirt and airchannels, then another skirt wrapped around. I think a blade would still hit the skirt and grind the bottom off it.

Attached Files:

5. Jonathan Garcia

One of the reviews that I've seen in Amazon "Not as good as advertised. The ;shroud moves as one unit with the grinder.
    A dust shroud needs to move independently so any obstructions in the floor which
    causes the operator to tip the grinder does not also tip the shroud off the floor.
    There is very little flex in this shroud."
    I don't want dust escaping if their are slight variations on the floor or removing thin set.

Hey Mike, you wouldn't happen to know how much it cost for the dustram, the chisel attachment. I know they sell it separate, but just haven't called them to get a quote.

6. Mike Antonetti

The skirt should be adjusted to touch the substrate, then locked in place. My scanmaskin 18" grinder had a slide down skirt, I then put a lamp on it to hold in place due to when it bounced a bit it would push up and have the gap.

The vacuum should over power any dust that wants to slip out. The tilt of grinder will spit, that is the struggle to prevent.

They make a Nylon DustRam now, not sure of price, @ 2k$ ? I do need to get one of them myself, they're a lot lighter than metal ones, I need another of their vacs, and probably a new cargo trailer.

Epoxyman recommends JoeDue stuff, haven't looked over there in awhile.

I use to have the Pearl Abrasives shroud, it was flexible boot. The base wore out where the plastic on bottomattached to the metal, that was a flashback, I forgot about that one. (Originals!)

7. Jonathan Garcia

Thank you Mike, I will look at those options.

8. Mike Antonetti

The pearl abrasives one has changed design, I think the rubber top section started ripping where the collar attached. It probably lasted two years before I threw it away, the rest of it was a metal. The way I treat Tools I would break any plastic design, I put a ledge on the shelf and they haven't fallen down again

9. Jonathan Garcia

Hey Mike I looked at the very few videos that I could find showing the dustram shroud in action, and it looked almost identical to the dust grabber. Is there a difference? aside from one being blue and the other being red.

10. Mike Antonetti

The videos are old, not sure what you saw, or what anyone sees. Who knows the truth? Stories can be told, like this one guy in front of my house asking for 20$, I call 911 and there's 4 police cruisers at my house.

I can't say too much about DustRam, I don't know a lot, all I know is my business and my capabilities. The investment is in the 10's of thousands of dollars, the company is high end, very serious about accomplishing their mission.

Their shroud is oval shape.

Matt is a contact point there, I know there are 18 DustRam contractors, the newest one in Orlando area is booked for 3 weeks. Most are booked way in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  11. Jonathan Garcia

Thx Mike for the help. Wow that's some police response.

12. Mike Antonetti

They left little bit ago, towed the car. The other guy they caught hit a cop and this was tied into it.

I would've had one made, larger for the 7" blade so the skirt wouldn't hit the blade. I've used Harley drive belt for ridges, then wrapped skirt around. Jack started making all these components so I started buying the equipment he was making.

OSHA is saying they want 25 CFM per inch of blade, so 7" grinder would need 175 cfm. The enforcement is delayed 3 more months, not sure how it will pan out.

13. Jonathan Garcia

25cfm per inch really? interesting. And those dust shrouds from Jack King aren't available unless your a dustram contractor?

14. Mike Antonetti

Not sure, I think they want to sell the whole package, they train a crew, equipment, website,job leads etc. but a lot of other stuff you need, chipping hammers, grinders, sundry items,truck,trailer, etc.

My brother said he saw the DustRam attachment (Nylon)online and video, he said he can buy it. I don't know what he saw as well.

The company is moving fast with their innovations. I have dibs on one of their vacuums prior to the new model, awaiting funding!

15. Mike Antonetti

Here's my old shrouds from 4 years ago. Pearl abrasive 4" edger is there. It ended up in trash as it wore out. Other two were sold.

Attached Files:

16. tsb

tsb well dressed

The only shroud that looks worth a lick is the one makita makes. Only problem is I don't like makita's 6000 rpm grinder. I don't think it's heavy duty enough. We have a couple of their variable speed 3k rpm grinders that I like a lot.

Since none of them are really good I'd recommend getting one made specifically for your grinder manufacturer instead of a universal one. That way it'll at least stay on (hopefully).

The metabo shroud does look like an expensive POS though.

17. Mike Antonetti

I don't get the trying to make it cheap mentality. Plastic? Wtf.

CDC Larue uses different collars for the various makes. Slower RPM's are better. I had a few Bosch, I think they spun at 8k.

18. tsb

tsb well dressed

cdc makes a cheap "homeowner grade" universal version of their dust shroud. Wouldn't recommend.

6000 rpm is ideal for threaded cupwheels imo. For resin backed tooling the max rpm is 3,000. Seems like nowadays most manufacturers are recommending a max of 1500 rpm's for their resins (used for polished concrete).

19. Mike Antonetti

I dislike threaded, one I couldn't remove ended up breaking my grinder. Got a blade recently with threads, asked my fabricator to turn it into the slot that attaches to bushing. He wasn't sure if he could cut through threads and wallow it out balanced. It's still over there sitting somewhere, other projects are before mine.

1500 is slow but guess they don't want to build heat. JonDons got a bunch of options, Hybrid metal/ceramic and the burnish pads that are diamond impregnated, all pricey stuff.

20. tsb

tsb well dressed

threaded.

Attached Files: