Need help choosing carpet transition

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Studly, Dec 6, 2017.

  1. Studly

    Studly New Member

    We have two spots in our house where our carpet meets new LVT flooring but doesn't overlap it.

    We have some carpet installers who gave us estimates for another small install project, and we will have them install the metal carpet gripper transition bars for us too. However, several want us to provide the carpet bars (to be installed on concrete), but one will provide them and says his are more heavy duty than what you can get at the home improvement stores.

    Is that true, and if so, what is the best brand of carpet transition bars to buy?

    Also, if we buy them ourselves, I noticed virtually all of them with the metal teeth that I've seen in the stores have a lip on the bottom (see photo below)to hook on to your tile or vinyl flooring, where the carpet overlaps.


    But since our carpet doesn't overlap our LV tiles, is it OK to still use these transition bars that have the bottom lip with nothing but concrete under them or are there some made that are completely flat on the bottom? If so, which brand would you recommend?

    Your recommendations would be appreciated!
  2. Daris Mulkin

    Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

    Go with what the installer provides. Also the make an insert metal that takes a vinyl insert that could be put in. There maybe a color that coordinates with your LVT.


    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mike Antonetti

    Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

    Are they bedroom doorways, open areas needing something more decorative. I dislike the groove lines in your picture above. Prefer hammered finish but there are coordinated finishes that are more modern. Basically transitions are an afterthought, but detail oriented people it is an accent piece.
  4. Hanover Fist

    Hanover Fist Pro Member

    Also - carpet (if not glued down) can be stretched very easily in order to provide any needed overlap.
  5. Studly

    Studly New Member

    These transitions are for a hallway. I don't care for that particular model pictured with the lines neither, but just chose that photo because it showed the little hook on the bottom better than some. The rest of the house has these types of transitions in a smooth, more rounded finish. But do any stores even sell these types of gripper transitions with a flat bottom?
  6. Mike Antonetti

    Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

    Maybe you’re talking about the smooth flat pinless clampdown metal for gluedown carpet.
  7. Studly

    Studly New Member

    No this is for a regular carpet, with tack strips along the walls and no glue.
  8. Daris Mulkin

    Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

    Some installers will use the flat pinless and then put a tackstrip on it to hold the carpet. Not actually a approved method but......


  9. Mike Mahoney

    Mike Mahoney Pro Member

    The padding will be cut to stop at the metal, the carpet will go over the pins then the clamp will be hammered down.
    Once installed, you'll not notice that lip.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.