Need Advise on sealing talvera tiles

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by jfloor, Oct 21, 2019.

1. jfloor

jfloor New Member

I am planning on installing talvera tiles in my front porch and was wondering if its needed to be pre sealed or not. I tried contacting the manufacturer but as of now I haven’t heard from them. Based on various posts on the internet I have come to the conclusion to go with the following steps:

a) Once I receive the tiles I will soak them through the Miracle Sealants

b) Right before installation I am not sure if I should soak in water or not? I am not sure about this step yet.

c) Once everything is completed including grout I should apply same sealant again.

Please advise if these are the correct steps

Thanks

2. You may need to pre seal, certainly not soak them in sealer, just the top, not even the sides.

Sometimes depends on texture and color of grout. You could test one piece with the grout with a realistic wait time prior to setting.

3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

You either soak the tiles in water prior to installation then seal the tops prior to grouting or you do a full dip in sealer prior to installing.

4. Never ever heard of dipping entire tile in sealer. But I’m always open to new ideas.

Presoaking sounds like some 60’s shit.

5. Chris 45

Dipping the whole tile is a natural stone thing. Since talavera tiles are porous, like natural stone, you can dip the whole thing for the same reasons. It keeps the tile from sucking the moisture out of the mix. Much like you would prime an existing gypsum based patch before skimming over it with a Portland cement based patch. I had an installer call me up years ago just freaking out. He was doing a fireplace in natural stone. He was setting the tiles with the ol 5 blob method. The next day everywhere he put a blob there was a dark spot in the stone. That’s because the stone absorbed some moisture from his mix and since he wasn’t fully spreading his mix, it highlighted the his setting pattern. Yes, the dark spots will eventually fade but a full dip would have eliminated his heart attack.

Now if you didn’t want to do a full dip you would have to soak the tiles prior to setting them. You’re bringing the tiles MC closer to that of the mix thereby slowing down the wicking of moisture out of the mix. I’m sure that dates way past the 60’s.

6. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

No man, it's the 60's, it's just BCE

7. Show me in the TCNA handbook where anything of the sort is stated. Only then I say ok, then I don’t do it.

The blob method is not recognized method of setting as well. Unless maybe if it’s secured by wire like slabs are done. 30ft high wall we did I didn’t feel comfortable with it.

8. Chris 45

You do demo, Mike. You have got to love things that weren’t installed according to approved installation methods. Substandard work is the ‘drinking beer’ of the floor covering world.

E4F936BD-7568-4E54-ADBB-B074C0FCDB3B.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Dam Right you are.

I’ve seen staining of flamed granite with black grout, Sure Kleen product will remove it. I also saw someone get fired after 50k$ in carpet damage from allowing workers to walk through it and the guy didn’t have 50k to keep his job.

I profit off the opposite side of things, turn the negatives into positives.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chris 45

Soaking the tiles in water leads to efflorescence if you don’t let them dry out prior to sealing. In this day and age who has that kind of time.

Look around and you can find pre sealed Talavera tile. Saves you the hassle of doing a full dip or pre soaking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. So I finally looked it up, hope it’s not in a freeze zone. Is it painted? What exact product is it? Not really rated for flooring.