Need advice on winding staircase carpet

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by janeen, Apr 18, 2017.

1. janeen

janeen New Member

I had carpet installed the other day. The guy cut the carpet differently than how it looked when I removed the old carpet. When I removed my old carpet each pie shaped piece was one section. It started at riser went down, then over tread, then over nose and stapled under nose. This guy cut the carpet in sections. Started at under nose stapled underneath, up over tread and attached to tack strip. Riser carpet was cut as a single rectangle section and stapled on. I expected less "sections" and was wondering if his way was wrong? Also, I feel the tack strip on the crotch poke my heel or toe going up/down. Comments please?

2. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

Installer used the wrong tack strip. (Taller pins) very common error. Carpet backings are very thin now days and the strip is usually long--pinned. (D-pin) The proper pin size is probably J-pin. One could cover the pins with a thin material to eat up some of the pin length, while leaving sufficient pin length to hold carpet fast.
    I use seam tape cut into thin straps but binding tape also works. Anything with the proper thickness could be used. Even newspaper or duct tape!
    The installation method is acceptable. There are many ways to skin a cat. I took up a set of winding steps that were in one piece. I only saw that once and never installed like that.

3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Possibly the spacing could be wrong on the tackstrip~to far out.
    But in my 51 years installing I have had maybe 1/2 dozen people complain of this. My thing is why are you stepping that far back on a step? Most people go up a stairway just stepping at the front edge, maybe about 3 or four inches in from it.
    Years ago we used to shift stair carpet because the front was worn. In doing so the worn spot now was in the center of the step.

:old:

Daris

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Simple fix. The installer will just have to come back and hammer down the pins.

5. Nate Hall

Hammering down the pins could cause dimples and the carpet could prematurely come off the strip. That is the shortcut fix though.

6. janeen

janeen New Member

Winding staircase carpet

The tack strip is not too far out from the crotch. It's right up to it. The carpet is thin with a pattern. If I would have known tack strip poking through would have been a problem I would have picked a different carpet. I am not at all stepping to far in on the tread because the outside edge is like 14" and gets smaller on the inside about 10". So depending on how you go up or down Ihug the railing side and it is narrow on that side. Anyway,,,,,I don't want to babysit the installer and I don't like the idea of hammering down random tacks, because with your hand you cannot feel them until your foot hits one. Soooo, why could this guy not cut one section of carpet (pie) to fit over riser and tread? To me that is less areas to come untacked. I did not find one video on youtube showing riser being one single piece stapled in. Thanks

7. Nate Hall

Because it is easier to do it that way, for that guy. It is his job and if the steps are covered, it makes no difference how they got that way. You mentioned a pattern. Is the pattern mis-aligned?

8. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Pics would help.
    I was my shop's go-to guy for pattern matching and non-standard steps. Lemme see what you got and I can maybe speak to the specifics based on pics(?)

9. Nate Hall

...knowing that the angles on winding steps make a perfect match impossible. There are ways to minimize the visibility of the mis-aligned patterns.

10. janeen

janeen New Member

Winding staircase carpet

No misaligned pattern..It started out that way but he took them off and fixed. Thin carpet makes me feel tack strip. Wasnt sure he installed correctly.

Attached Files:

11. Nate Hall

It looks pretty good and using strip is a step up from stapling the carpet down. Which is what a lot of installers do. The two-piece-per step method is a bit labor intensive but is merely another way to achieve the end result. Not wrong at all.

12. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

[
    :old:

Daris

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It does look good, might just tap those pins down a bit and you will be set.

14. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Looks better than what a lot of guys out there are capable of, don't be too hard on him

15. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

I will concur with the above. It's simply more time cutting and plotting, and having done the same, sizeably less time installing and less worry about damage to surrounding walls, railings, etc.