Need Advice on Luxury Vinyl Plank Choices

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by jayl, Apr 2, 2012.

1. jayl

jayl Pro Member

Hello All,

I want to start by saying I have never installed any flooring or done any real selection before...

We will be moving to a TH soon and there is carpet for the flooring... which we are getting rid of...

So our hunt for a new flooring started, we looked at HW / Laminate and then yesterday saw a product made by mannington (Mannington Adura Plank Floor Distinctive Ashford Walnut)

we really liked this, and we want to do this for our entire house LR/ BR/ Dinning etc.

My question is... between manningtons adura plank distinctive, and armstrong's luxe plan and 4mm Foothills Maple Click Vinyl | Lumber Liquidators

does anyone on here have experience with it and would you recommend one over the other and why? I would most likely get it installed professionally.

thanks very much for your time.

-jay

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Hi jayl,

:bump:

I'm really sorry no one has replied to your questions yet. It's unusual because we have a lot of pro opinions to spread around here. I'm hoping my bumping this up will get you more information to help you make a good choice.

Jim

3. jayl

jayl Pro Member

HI Jim,
    Thanks very much for the bump!

We are now down to the mannington's adura vs the armstrong luxe planks ( best).

SO far we like the details and looks of the mannington over the armstrong, however it seems mannington would be a glue down install vs armstrong might be a non glue down install...

What do the pro's have to say between these 2?

Thanks again,
    -jay

4. Jim McClain

I wish I could address the differences between either product, but I'm unfamiliar with them. I do have luxury vinyl planks installed in my apartment, the living and kitchen areas have a floating floor and the bedroom has a glue-down product. I like the glue-down much better. Both are very durable and beautiful floors, but the sound of walking over the floating floor is less audibly pleasing than the glued flooring, which has a more solid and less resonating sound.

Wish I could give you more feedback than that.

Jim

5. jayl

jayl Pro Member

Jim,
    do you have pictures of this installed that you can share? also which brand / style did u use?

thanks,
    jay

6. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

oh brother...now you asked for it ;)

7. Jim McClain

Funny you should ask. :D I used Konecto Prestige col. Sunset in the living/kitchen areas and Karndean Art Select col. Paprika in the bedroom. Pics below.

Yep, back up, make some room here...

Attached Files:

8. jayl

jayl Pro Member

HI Jim,
    Thanks very much for the pictures...

was there a reason you went with konecto? We are trying to decide between adura distinctive and luxe best.

thanks,
    jay

9. Jim McClain

My first consideration was aesthetics. Not to be maudlin, but I don't give much consideration to life expectancy because my own has been greatly reduced with lung disease. But also because of the lung disease, I wanted something I could do myself without a great deal of exertion.

There were issues though. The Konecto had a few seams lift because I didn't roll them well enough with the hand roller - that and the larger roller are both required. It scratched very easy when it was new (not so much after 6 months or a year) and I got a big ol' scratch in it just a day or so after I finished it from sliding a cardboard box that had a tiny pebble or staple or something under it (can't remember) a few feet.

And after doing the Karndean in my bedroom the next year, the Konecto seemed like it was more difficult and took more stamina, which I have precious little of. I like the looks of the Karndean too - the textures, eased edges - as well as the sound of it when walking with shoes on. Both floors are on a concrete slab.

Here are the topics I chronicled the jobs in:

https://thefloorpro.com/community/v...jims-apartment-gets-new-konecto-prestige.html

https://thefloorpro.com/community/vinyl-flooring-q-and-a/10099-pulling-an-all-nighter.html

Jim

10. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Both Mannington and Armstrong are very good compaines that will stand behind their product's. If I was you I would pick the one that go's with the look,feel and cost of my project.

11. j248

j248 Pro Member

I am not 100% aware of each specific product's specification, but in my opinion the specifications are really important and often overlooked. Having a fiberglass layer helps greatly with dimensional stability, and other things such as a virgin vinyl backing are important for the environment and your health. know the wear layer on each as well. you might want to figure in some of these things when assessing your budget and what style you want.

Jim I like that bedroom plank as well....Karndean ihas some nice styles and looks.

12. jayl

jayl Pro Member

anyone have ideas for where i Can find stair nosing that will match vinyl planks?

Thanks,
    Jay

13. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

I concur with Roland, both are great products. Albiet different as one is a floating and one is glued with PSA.
    Is it going over concrete? What is down on the floor now? where are you located/climate?

14. jayl

jayl Pro Member

I have concrete in the basement and plywood on the other floors. Located near DC.

WE got the adura distinctive planks... NEED to find matching stair nosing

15. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

Good luck, and take pictures for us ;)

IDK about wood vinyl moldings, someone may be able to help

16. tipex

tipex Pro Member

jim is that a segway parked in your lounge?

17. Jim McClain

Yep, sure is. :yesss: It helps me get around now that my lungs have gone bad - and it's a hell of a lot of fun.

18. tipex

tipex Pro Member

cool, not your health that is but having the segway,
    My mrs got me a day out on terrain with segways, sounds stupid but looking forward to that

19. blueskys

blueskys New Member

Armstrong Luxe Plank Vinyl Tile Flooring

We installed Armstrong's luxe vinyl plank flooring, The Barnyard Grey color in their top of the line, which was the "Best". We are so disappointed in this product. Here are the Pros: The color is beautiful, very nice to walk on, not slippery at all. Cleans up very well.

Now is the down side of this product. This vinyl plank flooring scratches terrible. We have no dogs or children. We had a few friends over Saturday night and pulling the chairs out from our table scratched the floors terrible. Took the finish right off, made scratches and dull scuff marks that are extremely noticable. We put felt on the legs of the chairs, but some of them moved a little or wore down on edge. We just applied these felt pads on chairs only 3 weeks ago. Also I pulled our refrigerator out which is on wheels and it totally scuffed and marked the floor, took the finish right off.

I called Armstrong and they said, did you read the warranty. When we purchased this product we were told that it is a very durable product, top of the line, was l think lifetime warranty, would hold up with dogs, etc. Armstrong said that the warranty is void against any kind of scratches. They also told me that heels should not be worn on this floor, as well as if a stone is on your shoe that will also scratch the floor. They also told me not to use a beater bar sweeper on floor. But after seeing how my refrigerator marked the floor, I am sure that any sweeper with wheels will mark up the floor. We have had vinyl flooring for 40 years and have never ran into this problem. The contractor that installed this and Armstrong both said before purchasing that this is a very durable product and would hold up as well as your normal vinyl flooring. Boy, were they ever wrong !!!!! Don't waste your money on this product. No sweeper, no dogs, no chairs, no toys, baby walkers, don't move any furniture or any product of any kind across this floor because I guarantee you that it will mark your floor all up. Armstrong also said there is no product to fix.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can take the scratches and dull scuff marks off of this floor?

20. Jeff Needham

Jeff Needham Pro Member

I may be missing something, because no one else has made this comment, but my understanding is that Mannington Adura plank patterns are ALL available wiith their loc n go, tongue and groove locking connection. for just a small upcharge on the plank, you can forget the psa adhesive.
    They have even added SOME of their tile designs to the loc n go line up.
    Unless they've added wood plank designs that don't come that way, till now, all wood planks came either way. Square edge or t&g.