Neat little trick

Discussion in 'Food for The Floor Pro' started by Daris Mulkin, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

This may have been posted befrore but to bad I'm going to post this trick a friend just told me about. I tried it and works great. I'm no cook and hate it but with the wife not here I guess I'm stuck.
    Frying eggs without flippig them. Spray your pan,we use olive oil but anyway toss in your eggs. Then put in 2 ice cubes and fry. Eggs turn out nice and pretty without turning them. No broken yolks.

:old:

Daris

2. TwoStar

TwoStar Maybe Three

I think thats called a basted egg. It's what we used to do when I was a shortorder cook back in the day. Egg on the grill, little splash of water, cover it for about 15 seconds. It looked like old dog eyes where they are starting to "frost over".

3. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Cool, nice trick Daris, but I like flipping them over up in the air, makes me feel like a chef and believe me when I say Barry and many others here have nothin to worry about. Get well soon Mrs. Mulkin

Mike

4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You can flip them all you want but my with cooking skills I have a hard time heating water. I always want to burn it.:(
    Sean I'm sure it is basting, but they tasted good.
    Maybe the wife comes home to day Mike. Has to have a chest xray first and then be read. If she does it will be after 5pm.

:old:

Daris

5. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton Senior Member Published

Works in the oven too

6. TwoStar

TwoStar Maybe Three

...go on...how hot? how long? specifics, man! ;)

7. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton Senior Member Published

Every had Huevos Rancheros (or it's southern equivalent with bisquit dough sausage and gravy)? They are finished in the oven and the egg cooks in the liquid.

Anyhoo... bout 1/3-1/2 c water in an 8" oven proof skillet. Oven at 375 for till the whites are set and the yolks are to your liking. This does take longer, esp. for one or 2 eggs, but for a crowd, several eggs in a casserole dish gives you time to visit or do other things and they are all done at or about the same time.

You can do HB eggs in the oven too in muffin tins.

8. Demonseed

Demonseed Pro Member

I was on an egg kick years ago, I would use a muffin pan (spray or butter) add an egg, cheese, bacon, etc and bake (timing depends on what you want 8-10 mins at 350 should be good, longer if you like well done). A nice breakfast/brunch treat. HB eggs no one believes me, but the easiest way is just to bring a large pot to a boil, add eggs (gently or with a laddle) cover and turn off the heat, wait 18-20 mins, flush with cold water and the shells will peel off easy. For poached eggs, use maybe 6 drops of vinegar in the water, it will help them stay together, too much and they will taste like vinegar.

Now egg stratas are fun, usually a bed and breakfast type dish, since they are complicated and usually need to be prepped overnight. Kind of fancy, but hard to do right in large quantities. I love eggs!!!! One breakfast we did, whenever we were running low on scrambled I would say it is an EggMergency!!!(probably not original but annoying)