National Installation Competition Returns to Surfaces

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Jim McClain, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

The industry has asked and The International Surface Event (TISE) has answered, as the return of the National Installer of the Year Installation Competition (The Nationals), Wednesday through Friday, January 23-25 in Las Vegas, is announced at TISE 2019. Installers across all aspects of the floor covering, stone, and tile industry are encouraged to submit their installation projects into The Nationals now!

“At CFI, we are deeply connected to the pulse of the installer community. Since 2003 when the installation competition went away, we have received inquiries every year about the desire for this incredible contest to return. It is an amazing opportunity for installers to highlight their knowledge, their training, and the amazing projects they work on all year behind the scenes,” says Robert Varden, Executive Director, International Certified Flooring Installers Association "CFI". “I am thrilled that TISE has partnered with CFI to make this program return, and we are looking forward to reviewing all the submissions.”

A panel of judges will be reviewing project submissions from around the country and selecting the top 3 finalists in each installation category to compete LIVE in The Nationals competition at TISE. There are three installation categories including carpet, stone/tile, and wood. Submissions close October 15. Finalists will be selected by November 15. >> installers, submit your entry now

“With the focus on the importance of installation in the industry, we knew this was the perfect timing to bring back the competition. We are honored to highlight the hard working community of installers at The International Surface Event,” says Amie Gilmore, CEM, Director of TISE, “and can’t wait for the exciting LIVE challenge on the show floor. It is our goal that this promotion both showcase the incredible work happening in the industry now while also bringing national exposure to the need for more trained professionals in this career segment.”

The industry is invited to watch the nine selected finalists LIVE right on the show floor as they show off their talent and skills in a set of product installation challenges, each in their own pre-constructed pod. The winner of the LIVE installation contest in Las Vegas will be crowned The National Installer of the Year, receive a prize package, and own incredible bragging rights in the industry and to their customers. >> get your passes to TISE 2019 now

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I don’t get the concept. I really don’t give a squat unless it’s going to better me personally by offering ideas, teaching, improvising, etc.

3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Mike buddy...
    Bragging rights IS THE BEST WAY TO BE BETTER!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

It is your time to shine. Who knows it might be me looking over your shoulder, seeing what you are doing.

5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I always wanted to know how to get into this..... who doesn't love competition

6. Mike Antonetti

Time creates masterpieces, Americans don’t have the time. How does National compare to International? And how does Installation compare to someone who created artwork and the installer placing it? I just don’t get the installer significance.

7. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Anything Installation related, will give Installers exposure, and
    generating competitive spirit into the participants, whom then have the power to hire UP and pay more.

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mike Antonetti

Yeah, I want a competition to see who pays the best and treats their installers the best.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

At all the competitions they had before it was standing room only there were so many spectators.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mike Sliwinski

Did any of our TFP Members participate over the years ?

Even if I had the skills capable for such a venue, I would be to nervous
    to perform :eek:

Mike

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I believe David Hunt did and Roland Thompson.

:old:

Daris

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Mike Sliwinski

NICE ! I wish I was there......I wonder if anyone video taped their work ?

13. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I watched the competition twice over the years. It was enjoyable and the last time, I knew some of the participants, which made it even better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

David won the East Northern that sent him to the finals. That was in around the 2001 time frame. I won the East Northern the last two years the had it. Finished Third in Vegas. There was one point separating the top three. Back then they had ten regional's and the winner of them competed in the finals. That might happen again but because of the time frame to put this on you need to send in photo's of your work with a story of what you went thru to do it. They are then judged by a panel of industry installers. The final three of carpet, wood, and ceramic then compete in Vegas. Then there will be 4 judges for each category to decide on the winner. I can tell you, being one of the winners really put your name on the map with the industry.

• Like Like x 2