National 6280

Discussion in 'Flooring Products, Tools & Supplies on EBAY' started by East, Jul 15, 2016.

1. East

East One Ban'd Dude!

I have basically no experience using any of these machines, I've heard from hourly paid guys that getting a self propelled one is key. I used one once to remove some stubborn hardwood when a skilsaw and a crowbar just wouldnt cut it (and even then I paid a guy to run it). So your advise is appreciated. I was looking at this guy.
    National 6280 Floor Scrapers on eBay

It looks like a decent machine, I just dont know how much to offer. I put in a bid of 1200$ last time he had a auction on this item but it didnt meet the reserve price. And just to confirm this will remove 3/4 inch glued hardwood right? And tile?

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

No, that one won't cut it. Look at the blades, this machine is only for sheet/carpet/vinyl plank&stile. The 6280HD model has the shank with small bits for hardwood and tile.

Both machines work on the oscillating motion, not the battering ram like some other machines which I think work better. My HD doesn't work well for hardwood or tile, maybe some hardwood, but normally I would not consider bringing it. The wheels spin as it bumps into flooring to be removed.

They are a bit slow moving once you put it into perspective. I sold one of my HD's for 2500. Not using enough for two to sit around.

The buy it now price decent, new they were around 8k, they've somewhat redesigned them. I can't get rid of mine, Lvp,t will need to be removed in future and that it does well on.

Attached Files:

3. Mike Antonetti

Or you can possibly find one on Iron Planet machinery auction site, I got the app. I don't think they usually sell any blades

Attached Files:

4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Works well on sheet vinyl and vct. Won't do tile or wood. Own the machine and it works great when you need it.

5. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

We're a National distributor and, in my opinion, even though they make the statement you can use the 6280 for hard tile and wood, it' just not enough machine to do it on any kind of regular basis. If you tear out wood and tile regularly then you really should go to a ride-on machine. They have the weight and force to be able to deal with the abuse of tearing those tough floors out. You could probably tear a small ceramic job out now and then with a 6280 but it really is slow and it's pretty hard on the equipment. They work very well for resilient and carpet. We sell a ton of the self-scoring blades for carpet and they work really well.

I think the last one we sold - new - was just under $11,000. National has re-designed a bunch of their demo equipment over the last 18 months so there have been many improvements with regard to durability.

6. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I've tried that "self-scoring" blade a dozen times with no success. It just never cut clean through and would instantly bind up.

Til Monday-Wed. of this week. The machine came out with only one blade so WTF------give it a shot. Worked great to rip through existing C&A with a Turbo (Extro) stripper.

7. Mike Antonetti

I think that duro/turbo/Wolff scraper may work better than nationals, I agree National is stepping up with some people at the top.

I've had luck with the dicing blades on only carpet we've ripped up, had 4 blades, changed out or sharpened with flap disc grinder.

Also for C&A Randy Wheelis from Innovatech recommended that acrylic commercial double cutter with hook blade. They've attached a steel handle to it and sell it at their Company. So for ride on when it won't slice, they recommend using it.

Attached Files:

8. Incognito

We don't have a machine like that and our blades that are designed to avoid having to pre-cut strips of carpet are different in size and shape.

I was thinking the blades might be the same but I can see from your photo that they are pretty differently contoured. It's all about the ANGLE.

Right?

Besides that Mike, we nearly never are ripping out a cheaper, low grade cut pile carpet with a backing that looks anything like what I see there. That really looks to me like a residential carpet that was glued down. I've installed plenty of that in corporate office space. It also seem to be a "contractor" grade adhesive. Used to be Gold, Silver and Bronze. I'll bet that's the bronze. (contractor grade) which is the same as the Gold only add 3/1 (75%) water and stir well. LOL

But we don't demo very much of that with the machines. It's almost always the loop/unitary backings with the PREMIUM adhesives like the old Bigelow Broadlock green glue.

I think that's what I'm up against Monday AM in Irvine CA.

Over plywood no less.

I should just shoot myself now.

9. Mike Antonetti

Yes I noticed that plywood substrate you had, that's a balancing act. Here, they get their money's worth out of glue down, the adhesive has usually deteriorated away.

10. Incognito

No, Monday's job is a different city/district that I've no been to.

I've only heard the horror stories from my buddies that have been there for............on and off about a year I think-------all school holidays, weekends and nights.

not straight through of course

11. Mike Antonetti

I was thinking carpet pullers were obsolete, but in certain situations, weight restrictions, accessibility, and skinning carpet(just carpet not adhesive) I think the carpet badger would work excellent, especially for wood substrates.

So if the residual adhesive is compatible with new adhesive and over a wood substrate to prevent digging blade in.

[ame]https://youtu.be/0FcOhu9vYHA[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/uwkOr9andZs[/ame]