National 5700 Ride on Scraper

Discussion in 'Flooring Products, Tools & Supplies on EBAY' started by Mike Antonetti, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

2. Mike Antonetti

45 views of the topic no bids on machine, don't be shy, I'll go first

3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Wish I had a job that would pay for it, looks like s steal

4. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Nice find and good price so far
    This looks smaller then yours mike is it ?

5. Mike Antonetti

Actually now I think about it, yes. Similar to mine would be the 7500? I need a smaller machine anyways but I won't win bid I doubt. I use mine occasionally, probably made about 15k from it in year and half, have 28k in mine, it's paid off.

6. kylenelson

$15k more than your $28k invested? If so thats not bad, if not you have a lot of catchup to do for the tool to pay off above and beyond what you have made normally without it.

7. Mike Antonetti

No, so one more year to equal, but that has advanced our install speed and reduced physical labor, gotten us additional jobs, not much we can't do, we are not really limited, good thing is I have the option of just going and getting it whenever we decide to. Rentals are a hassle.

8. kylenelson

How much do you estimate you will need to earn with this machine to be able to recover your investment above and beyond your normal average take home. Meaning, if you didn't have it and just did what you were previously doing instead, how much above and beyond that amount do you need to make to make the machine pay off.

I estimated that the National 6280 ( $7,000 used) would take close to $50,000 in labor of using it for the net profit of the work to add up to the investment recovery.

9. Mike Antonetti

Numbers are running through my head right now on the condo. I bought my 6280 for 2500, sold it 2500, so boost to removal speed. I have another 6280, I think I paid 1500 for.

So, the ride on, my brother and I went in on so the burden wasn't as great. I haven't done any marketing in my area to fully utilize its potential. We used it the other day to assist in thinset removal and scrape heavy adhesive, that has saved about 15 man hours @ 75$ per hour(man and machinery)

One example would be 1000 sq ft of hardwood ripup may take two days, two people @ 2.00$ sq ft. So 1000$ a day, how that's divided is different from you and I, you may pay a guy 15$ an hour, so you would get 860$ per day + expenses.

Same exact scenario, 1000ft manually remove all week for two people, 200$ per day.

400 ft last month, hardwood removal, other crew 30 ft, 4-6 hours, our removal of 370 the next day 5 hours, his pay 5$ an hour X 2 people.

There are many examples of how you can easily triple your daily income. The Dustram system I have usually makes me 100$ an hour, my brother, 6 hours I gave him 450$ not bad, make a truck payment in a day.

Doing flooring/background and removal go hand in hand, we know what needs to be done.

Had a sweet removal Friday, 250 ft tile, folded off floor, 50 grit the adhesive off floor leaving pristine concrete for vinyl plank crew on Monday. Plank pays 1.00 ft., we will be doing another dust free removal on Monday, 450 ft @ 2.75 for retailer, = 1237.50$, my brother gets 1$ ft., I get 1.75$ cause I have most of equipment and expenses. So I'll make @ 800$ Monday, if we had to go back and install plank, I would get at most 150$.

So you can skew numbers around, I remember when my average pay was maybe 600$ a week not too long ago, sometimes less, now 600 it's not a good week, it gets me to the next though.

Being in the field of flooring the scraper is a supplement to your abilities.

10. kylenelson

I hear you on that. I have enjoyed having the 6280 around. I scraped up 2200 sq ft of rubber back pad at my church in about 6 hours. Wasn't sore or tired and it was fast. Stripped out 4 big school bathrooms this summer with it and did them in a day down to bare concrete. Couldn't have ever done that before.

I wasn't trying to nail you down, I'm just curious how others are accounting for these expensive tools and if they're truly making more money off of them or if they would be better off paying a couple of temp helpers and buying a pile of 8'' scraper blades.

11. Mike Antonetti

The equipment is impressive, guys with scrapers are not. Actually if more installers were smarter, they would hire us to do demo work.

At the country club we will be doing carpet tile, the tile installer came in and said "you guys must be charging a fortune to do this" I said, no, not that bad, not sure what we are going to charge. Guys were coming in checking out the ride on scraper, the assisted living they were taking video, saying they never saw a real one before.

We did dust free tile removal high end home, grand piano,etc. tile distributor heard about it saying no dust at all, impressive!

High end remodeler foreman came up to truck the other day asking for our card, he lost our phone number and needed for a few remodels.

Wish I kept better track of our install #'s, when they start and rise past 50 an hour it's easier to track, I prefer the 100 per hour number, a lot easier.

So, the national machine is fine, I prefer the innovatech, mine with the controls side by side where I can operate one hand, speed with foot control, very precise, not sure how the Nationals precision is.

So, my wife contacted the condo owner, 15 G's down. She asked me what I bid on, I told her a scraper, she's fine with it cause she thinks we won't work as hard, but timing isn't the greatest. I will bid on good deals, tried a grinder, 3 phase, I'd sell and buy 220, pocket th change.

You can use this scraper 4 years and sell it for 12-14 g. They rent 700$ a day.

12. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

13. Mike Antonetti

That one never showed up on my eBay alert. I don't think I'll ever buy a propane machine, battery is just peace of mind, I like customers being amazed at the machine and what it does, not worried about dying from carbon monoxide poisoning.

If I win this one, so be it, I have a smaller scraper for tighter, smaller jobs, was probably going to get smaller one next year anyway. Everything is small, medium ,large in order to be most efficient.

Still the Dustram system has been my best investment and most usage. Our tile removal yesterday was only 175 sq ft, in and out in two hours, people moved down from Wisconsin said they never saw anything like it and were amazed, I said we are not slow. Kinda felt like Stanley Steemer we were gone so fast. So for two hours I made 300$, 150 per hour. The Dustram system with equipment/training etc. is now at a 60k$ price range, usage is way more than scraper, so the math is in favor of Dustram, Labor is the ride on.

I added an air scrubber to my removal service, started cleaning dust particles floating in the sunlight prior to starting.

Attached Files:

14. TheStripper

TheStripper Pro Member

Still have our 5700 for sale. 2011 model; 365 hours. Good shape. First offer above $10k gets it.... info@slabstripper.com

15. Mike Antonetti

Oh that's a dagger to my heart! You're killing me.