My Site Is DOWN!

Discussion in 'High Tech Tools & Equipment Support' started by JonH, Sep 24, 2016.

1. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

I noticed Thursday my jonnycorners site was down. I thought it would come up soon but it has been three days and no notice from my web designer and no answer on any of his phones. Uh oh, what to do and how to find out what happened. I'm not the most savvy guy when it comes to electronics, sites, etc. and could use a little advice.

2. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Now that I got excited, he contacted me. Catastrophic error of some sort and it is or should be fixed today. Whew......

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

But 3 days without any notification? You should have been told to get an downtime monitor a long time ago. No one person can monitor your website 24/7, but there are scripts you can use to do it. When your site goes down for longer than x-number of minutes, you get an email (sent to an address not associated with your website or server) to notify you. Then, if you can't fix the problem yourself, then your host can be notified via support ticket.

Uptime Robot is just one of many services available.

I don't know what I'd do if TFP was down for 3 days - and I'm not even selling anything. I have a host that has around the clock support. I've never waited more than a few minutes after a support ticket was submitted to get a reply. Some problems take longer to fix, but that's hours, not days. Even hardware failures are anticipated and back-up systems take over.

4. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

I think 3 days is a really long time too. I also think I should have had some sort of notification and not had to to contact my provider to see whats wrong, which makes me think I should look for a new provider. They should have contacted me like Jim said. I don't know what happened but the providers site is down also. It should be up again today, if it isn't I will have lost four days of sales. Saturdays are good sales days for me too and I'm really ready for its return.

5. Jim McClain

Not a good sign. It could be an indication that you are being hosted by a single individual on his/her own account, which is hosted by some cheap reseller. Last I checked your host has 122 (I think that was the number) other domains on the same IP address and the IP address belongs to GoDaddy. :(

6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Last time when I noticed mine was down it was because I hadn't paid them. Well I said nobody billed me and I didn't know.

7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

You're a rich inventor! A little down time can't hurt too much!

8. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Im up! All my troubles are over.

9. Jim McClain

Be sure to check everything closely. I see at least one image not showing (a facebook logo?)...

Oh WAIT just a minute! Your whole home page is being rendered as a "frameset" from chdwebsites.com. That means every bit of the content is being indexed on search engines as content belonging to someone else, not you. I checked the source code and this is what I see:
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
       "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    <html>

<head>
      <title>Jonny Corners </title>

</head>
    <frameset rows="100%,*" border="0">
      <frame src="http://www.chdwebsites.com/2016/jonnycorners" frameborder="0" />
      <frame frameborder="0" noresize />
    </frameset>

<!-- pageok -->
    <!-- 02 -->
    <!-- -->
    </html>

In other words, THIS is the website all of your content is coming from: [noparse]www.chdwebsites.com/2016/jonnycorners/[/noparse]

And it's not just the home page, it is every page. I don't know if that is recent or has been done since the beginning, but that is definitely not right. You do not do websites like that.

Question: did you register your own domain name?

10. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Well hell, I thought my troubles were over! I did register the domain name through the web designer, I remember him explaining that the name was mine. Other than that I know I don't know anything about what you said except it's bad. So in a month or two I think I'm due for an upgrade.

11. Jim McClain

You need to cover your butt: Open an account on GoDaddy or NameSilo (both are free, NameSilo is my favorite, which is why I linked it). Once you have your account, ask your designer to transfer the domain name to your account. You'll need to give the designer the account number and the email address you used to register (don't give out passwords).

This puts your domain name fully under your control. It has nothing to do with who your host is, so it won't change your website or its location - until you are ready to move it to another host someday.

Think of it this way: You don't give your money to a friend to hold, or some guy down the street that you think is an honest guy. You put it in a recognized bank. Same thing with a domain name (or names - you should also have jonnycorners.net and any other name you think could be associated with a business you want to run some day - you won't be doing just trap door corners for the rest of your life, will you). It is all part of a wise online business strategy.

The only cost of transferring your domain name is the yearly registration fee ($8.99 on NameSilo). There should be no other cost. Your designer uses GoDaddy and they do not charge for this, unless you are transferring to a new account on GoDaddy, which would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 bucks yearly registration fee.

12. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Good advice Jim, what's all that mean? Maybe I was gnawing on lead paint as a child. I don't know how you installed flooring and can understand the intricasies of the web.

I think you win the monthly gift card for helping out a member, will send via your PayPal account.

13. Jim McClain

I was wondering why you sent me money today. You're the only guy who sends me $20 every month like clockwork, but today you sent more than 20 and not on your regular schedule. I was thinking it was the onset of senility and I wasn't gonna say a word. :D

Thank you.

What does it all mean? Well, the domain name, like thefloorpro.com or jonnycorners.com, is the key element of an online business or presence. The website content can move or change, grow or shrink and most visitors won't know the difference. But the domain name always stays the same. You can lose pictures through file corruption, the database can crash and lose all your website's information and content. That can be devastating, but it's still recoverable. But losing your domain name is the end of your business as you know it. You must have the ability to move it to any host or server you want and start over if you have to. If you don't have actual control of it, you are taking a huge gamble.

I belong to several webmaster forums. Like TFP does for a lot of flooring professionals (including myself), a webmaster forum helps the experienced and inexperienced webmaster learn how to operate and manage internet technology. It's not just about a website any more than it's only about being an installer on TFP. Webmaster forums help me understand the server (glorified computer) better, how to code in 2 or 3 of the many complicated languages (HTML, CSS, PHP, etc.), how to solve problems with various plugins, add-ons or forum scripts and even how to manage members, which is a lot like how to manage customers and employees in a retail business.

My experience on webmaster forums and as a staff member or administrator on forums and other websites goes back to 1992. I started learning how to code in the late 90s. I found that my brain (and just about everyone else's) has the capacity to learn new stuff and get really good at a variety of things over the course of a lifetime. I remember how shocked and incredulous I was when a highly regarded flooring professional once said an installer can only do one thing really well and should stick to just that. If you are really good at carpet, you will not be as good at vinyl or hardwood, not to mention excelling at other things not even associated with flooring installation. Well, maybe I never became the best in the world at any one thing, but I have enjoyed success and even been sought out specifically for a number of different things in my life. And I hope I am able to continue learning new things and becoming quite good at some of them for the rest of my days.

Oh, that turned into a rant, didn't it? :blink:

14. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Pretty good detail, I got you on my bill list, it's @ the 15th. I may need your assistance one day again on the internets. Consumer Reports has some good info on cyber security this month. I checked to see if my email address was compromised, mine wasn't, but wife's was(on a cruise with friends).

The site was haveibeenpwned. Something to that affect, didn't read much more, who's got the time to read forever?

15. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Ok. I will talk with the web guy tomorrow to get why this is what it is from his perspective. I will let you know how it goes. I'm thinking its time for an upgrade from what I have anyway.

16. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Turns out you are right Jim, not surprising that you're right but surprised at the way things are. The web designer said that the name is mine and he just has to release it to me and I can do what I want with the site name. I'm not worried.

He did say he had 300 sites down and had five more to go at 2:00 today so he was not in the mood to explain a whole lot at that moment.

17. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

You are a richer installer! 5% of inventors see a profit. I'm, so far, in the 95%

18. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

that's not my fault that I'm rich and good looking.

19. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You left out "and hung like a horse."

:old:

Daris

20. Jim McClain

And just how would you know that? :eek: