My Experience with Armstrong Luxe Planks

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by DoberStinker, Aug 31, 2010.

1. DoberStinker

DoberStinker Member

I'm trying to get rid of all the carpeting in my house (my dog has dust mite allergies), so I've been doing a lot of research on flooring. I was curious about Armstrong Luxe planks and was lucky enough to get most of a box for free, so I installed it in a 5'x8' closet over the weekend. I'm impressed with this product. It looks fantastic and was very easy to work with (this was my second attempt at flooring, the first being EVA foam tiles). I installed Kingston Walnut Henna, one of the best line The planks are very uniform and fit together quite well. This stuff is 1/8" thick! You can score it and snap it, but I used large snips to cut it and that worked well.

Regarding off-gasing, the planks did have a mild vinyl odor when I left them in the closet for a week before installing. I did not notice any odor while installing and there is no odor at all now that I've moved everything back into the closet.

I learned about pattern scribing by reading this forum, so I used typing paper to create a pattern for a diagonal wall and the door frame. Worked great, thanks flooring pros! I undercut the door frame and put in stained-to-match shoe molding for a nice finished look. I wish the floor prep was as easy as the installation!

I really liked that you can walk on the floor and replace furniture right away (the instructions were a bit vague about this, so I called Armstrong to verify). You can't use any liquid cleaner, such as damp mopping, for five days. One disadvantage of this flooring IMO, is that it is slippery for dog feet, especially the best line. The best line is also pricey.

After being unimpressed with TrafficMaster Allure that a friend installed (wood pattern looked fake, some seams weren't all that tight), I wasn't too sure about DIY vinyl planks. I like the Luxe planks and am considering putting more down in a hallway.

2. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

This is what this site is all about!!! Thank You for your post, thoughts, observations, and opinions.

3. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

Good stuff, BTW one advantage of the entry line is it's textured, like you said the best lines are more glossy and less textured making it a bit more slippery.
    Best of luck and thanks for sharing